Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand - I think I overpaid.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    and be all poetic and LARP as the Thin Red Line. Go live amongst the Guinea men, get all emotional, and like yeah
    I would be ok with this.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After reading SLA Marshall's "Pork Chop Hill" I was surprised to read of so many m1 garand failures to operate. In every skirmish there was at least one report of a rifle not operating in the Korean conditions. I don't recall reading of so many failures to operate in the second great war.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You didn’t over pay.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Anyone know anything about 270 win Garands?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    I've seen it done, but I don't recommend it at all.

.270 uses powders that burn way too slow than what the garand gas system was designed for. In order to prevent breaking your op rod, you'd have to pretty much forego using any factory ammo and reload using medium burn rate powders, decreasing performance 100-200 fps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaholder View Post
    I've seen it done, but I don't recommend it at all.

.270 uses powders that burn way too slow than what the garand gas system was designed for. In order to prevent breaking your op rod, you'd have to pretty much forego using any factory ammo and reload using medium burn rate powders, decreasing performance 100-200 fps.
    Wouldn't it matter on the gas port? Just curious. I've never seen or heard of one but saw one today at a LGS. Did some searching and turns out it's a thing

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    After reading SLA Marshall's "Pork Chop Hill" I was surprised to read of so many m1 garand failures to operate. In every skirmish there was at least one report of a rifle not operating in the Korean conditions. I don't recall reading of so many failures to operate in the second great war.
    "Slam" Marshall's accounts of Korea need to be taken with a grain of salt. Seems his reports of the wars he's documented don't necessarily jive with those who were actually there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Wouldn't it matter on the gas port? Just curious. I've never seen or heard of one but saw one today at a LGS. Did some searching and turns out it's a thing

Port pressure is the issue. Slower powders create higher pressure in the gas system and longer dwell time, meaning that once the bolt is unlocked and pushed ot the rear of the receiver there is still excessive pressure in the gas system that exists for a longer period than faster burning powders. This creates stress on the op rod and can also cause damage to the receiver heel from the bolt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is always fun to finish off a gravel pit shooting session with the Garand after lots of AR15 shooting. bang, bang, bang....BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! And the response on steel is impressive as well. If you ever need anti-vehicle firepower, the Garand would git her done. My dad fought in the Pacific and loved the M1. He had zeron complaints with it and much praise. Even though he was an AmTrak driver he did not like the Carbine and traded for a Garand and for a while a Thompson. Shooting through coconut logs seemed to be important to him. I got my first Garand just before he died so he was able to at least handle it again, but was too far gone to go out shooting (Parkinson's).

I have three from the CMP, my favorite was handpicked at Camp Perry after a 12 hr drive from Illinois when visiting some family. Drove all day, stopped at Camp Perry, drooled over the racks, chatted with the CMP staff, picked out a couple of Garands (me and SIL), got back in the car and drove 12 hrs back to his house. Long ass day but we were ecstatic to have our hand picked M1s. One I have set up with a scout scope for sighting in handload tests. The scruffiest one I use for plinking, and the best one I save for CMP matches and longer range informal shooting. The Garand is an amazing rifle design and execution, pure genius. And yes, my scruffy M1 has a bayonet.

I wish it was as safe as it use to be to have a gun rack in the truck rear window. Dad used to carry the Win 94 back there and never considered it could be stolen. those were the days! If I could, I would put a Garand in the rifle rack! Get off my lawn! ...and my road/parking space/sand dune/dirt trail/creek bed/field!
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Yeah, watch the movie Battleground about the 101st Airborne Division at Bastogne, there's a scene where Holly tells his Joe's to check their bolts for freeze up. Known issue that ice build up could impede Garand function, not the weapons fault if you fail to do your part. Funny in the movie one of the Joe's just smirks and ignores Holly but as soon as he walks away checks his M1 and sure enough it's frozen up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Marshall speculates that the nature of the Korean battlefield, entrenched warfare with lots of free soil combined with vigorous and close in artillery support, provided ample opportunities for dirt to enter the open action of the m1.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast