Thread: AK47 + Left handed + Slant brake + Zhukov Stock = Cheek Slap

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

AK47 + Left handed + Slant brake + Zhukov Stock = Cheek Slap

I purchased a cheap AK 47 as a beater gun/truck gun/range toy. I've always heard about cheek slap with an AK but I have never had a problem with it with my Arsenal Ak's. I have always thought what you are thinking right now... grow some balls, suck it up and stop being a pussy. Well I now beg to differ.

Now I am left handed, left eye dominate so I shoot left handed. I've been having major cheek slap that has left bruising. I went shooting today and shot it right handed and No cheek slap. On a whim I took the brake off and shot left handed. Never felt cheek slap.

Here are my thoughts on the cause. Maybe you can have some input or have a better idea of the cause.
    The slant brake I assume is made for right handed shooting, Is it multiplying the force maybe shooting left handed?

The magpul Zhukov S stock has its hinge on the right side so I cannot shoot nose to the dust cover as I do with my Arsenal's. The magpl stock is kind of a weird angle which leads to a less than desired cheek weld compared to the wooden stock. I am able to place my nose up to the dust cover right handed with the magpul stock, just not shooting left handed.

I would not say this is technique related. So do you think its a combination of the brake and stock with me being left handed or just the brake? Any other suggestions? Maybe recommend me a brake?

Anyone else left handed and has this combination experience this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    You could turn the slant brake to the 12:00. Youll have to cut a groove.
    If i was putting anything else on an ak it would ge a warcomp or flash hider.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    You could turn the slant brake to the 12:00. Youll have to cut a groove.
    If i was putting anything else on an ak it would ge a warcomp or flash hider.
    I prefer not to spend a ridiculous amount on a brake/flash hider. The warcomps are expensive, almost 25% of what I paid for the rifle.

Do you think turning the slant brake will make that much difference?
    If so then I have no problem cutting a notch per your suggestion or I found an ambi brake for cheap.
    http://www.primaryarms.com/tapco-ak-...14x1-lh-ak0684

Does anyone have any experience with this Primary Arms PWS J-TAC47 Compensator?
    http://www.primaryarms.com/pws-j-tac...62x39-3jtc14f1
    There are some reviews on youtube and other forums. Looks like it is several years old. I just dont know if being left handed has any effect on certain brakes.

I'll give it a few day to see if anyone else chimes in, but if this doesn't work I'll be replacing the stock next.

Surely it is not over gassed severely enough to be causing these types of problems. But don't known, I'm not an Ak guy.

You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just wanted to update this thread.
    I purchased a brake and tried that. The check slap was reduced but gun still did not shoot like me arsenal aks.

I changed the stock and it solved the problem. I’m using a regular stock now with the slant brake and it is comfortable to shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    I just wanted to update this thread.
    I purchased a brake and tried that. The check slap was reduced but gun still did not shoot like me arsenal aks.

I changed the stock and it solved the problem. I’m using a regular stock now with the slant brake and it is comfortable to shoot.
    Never had that problem with the AK before, but having had to shoot a UMP, I too learned a painful lesson about folding stocks and left handedness.. Same goes for the left side safeties on Galils and some AKs. The Arsenals are my only AKs now. Glad you solved your problem!