Thread: Zombie Preps

Feedback Score

Zombie Preps

First, a quick look into my gun safe, and think of zombies and other two-legged vermin in a Without Rule of Law (WROL) situation.... You would find in the safe an AR in 5.56 and one in 6.5 Grendel, and other assorted useful emergency tools. My serious question is this - Should I stock up on 62 grain IMI for the 5.56, or 68 grain SMKs? The 5.56 carbine is limited by my ability to do my part more than it is by the relative accuracy of the two rounds, which would seem to reduce the variables to cost and effective terminal ballistics at range. In any expected use around here in a WROL situation, I don't see myself shooting beyond 100-150 yds (my glasses and the age of my eyes being the important factor here). And if longer range work was needed, I've got the Grendel. Cost-wise, I can always find 62 gr IMI easier and much cheaper than 68 gr SMK. For example, MidwayUSA has it on sale for 42% off today. Since my ammo locker has 500+ rounds of SMK, should I just build up the 62 gr supply? It strikes me that buying the 62 gr and getting to the range more often is the best use of available cash, but I post here in case there is some flaw in my plans I have not seen.

With gratitude to the group,
    NavArch

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NavArch View Post
    First, a quick look into my gun safe, and think of zombies and other two-legged vermin in a Without Rule of Law (WROL) situation.... You would find in the safe an AR in 5.56 and one in 6.5 Grendel, and other assorted useful emergency tools. My serious question is this - Should I stock up on 62 grain IMI for the 5.56, or 68 grain SMKs? The 5.56 carbine is limited by my ability to do my part more than it is by the relative accuracy of the two rounds, which would seem to reduce the variables to cost and effective terminal ballistics at range. In any expected use around here in a WROL situation, I don't see myself shooting beyond 100-150 yds (my glasses and the age of my eyes being the important factor here). And if longer range work was needed, I've got the Grendel. Cost-wise, I can always find 62 gr IMI easier and much cheaper than 68 gr SMK. For example, MidwayUSA has it on sale for 42% off today. Since my ammo locker has 500+ rounds of SMK, should I just build up the 62 gr supply? It strikes me that buying the 62 gr and getting to the range more often is the best use of available cash, but I post here in case there is some flaw in my plans I have not seen.

With gratitude to the group,
    NavArch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Zombie Preps

Not sure where you shop, but I usually find really good deals on 62gr or 55gr at SGAMMO. MagTech for example @ $279/1,000. And it is very well made ammunition. Their M193 runs about $300/1,000. I believe they manufacture ammo for the military as well. My AR’s love it. Just some options. If you had an SPR or other precision rifle in 5.56, I would recommend the heavier grain round. I shoot both 69gr OTM and 77gr OTM with good results in my 18” SPR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 01-09-18 at 09:02.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب