Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ballistic Gel Tested Beyond 25 yards/meters

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Then he correlates it to actual performance on living things. SHort of Dr Robert's lab, Brobee has the best work I've seen, using correct calibration, temperature, gel, you name it, he gets it RIGHT.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only difference at range is velocity. Just chrono whatever the velocity is at 100, 200, etc. and load some rounds to those velocities.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ginzomatic View Post
    If one were so inclined, would it be possible to make hand loads with slightly lower pressures out of the muzzle to mimic longer range velocity?
    Exactly. I loaded rifle rounds to trans/sub sonic and fired them into jugs to mimic long range. (I don't have the ability to do real gel tests.)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    Have seen videos where 22lr penetrates 1" pine boards at 100 yards
    Which is supposed to be a minimum lethality standard
    Just an FYI- .22LR 40gr. lead will penetrate golf balls at 100 yards about 4-5 times out of 10. Got a couple with the bullet sticking partly out of the golfball opposite where hit.
    A golf ball is a hard little rascal, no easy feat.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Exactly. I loaded rifle rounds to trans/sub sonic and fired them into jugs to mimic long range. (I don't have the ability to do real gel tests.)
    This is not accurate, because rotational velocity decays much slower than forward projectile velocity, and rotational velocity can be instrumental in terminal performance of many expanding projectiles, thus you are not seeing a TRUE representation of how the round performs at distance, when you download/fire at reduced initial velocity to mimic down-range impact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12