Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.45x.39 versus 5.56x.45

Feedback Score

5.45x.39 versus 5.56x.45

This has always interested me as I have an AK74 and an AR15. I have no rounds through my Colt LE6920 yet but have a few thousand through the AK74 shooting non corrosive ammo. Having said that I have 7N6 in my defensive mags and another 2,000 rounds not loaded in mags. For 5.56 I have Hornady Tap 2 in my 30 and 40 round mags. I also have 5.56 Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw for a penetrating round if needed. Does the yaw of the 5.45 in 7N6 make it a much more lethal round than any round in 5.56. It tumbles like mad in a 16 inch barrel like nothing I ever seen. My question is can any civilian 5.56 round cause the kind of terminal damage the 5.45 causes?? I love both platforms and I can't wait to get my Colt to a range soon. Alot of very expensive 5.56 rounds but I never seen a 5.56 round that tumbles as much as the 7N6 round does in ballistic gel (5.45). I'm buying probably a .308 semi auto next but haven't ruled out another AK74 or AR15.

Feedback Score
    I suggest you look at the terminal ballistics forum.
    Yes, many rounds, especially bonded hps like your bear claw or federal fusion offer superior ballistics than 5.45.
    Tumbling is not the best wounding mechanism. Your t2 will tumble and frag which does much more tissue damage.
    Bonded rounds expand leading to increased surface area (wounding like a tumbling bullet), but it creates a consistent wound channel. It also tends to travel straighter, and offers better barrier penetration.

In short, bonded rounds let you have cake and eat it too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't overthink it. There is no magic bullet. Use quality ammo for either caliber

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I suggest you look at the terminal ballistics forum.
    Yes, many rounds, especially bonded hps like your bear claw or federal fusion offer superior ballistics than 5.45.
    Tumbling is not the best wounding mechanism. Your t2 will tumble and frag which does much more tissue damage.
    Bonded rounds expand leading to increased surface area (wounding like a tumbling bullet), but it creates a consistent wound channel. It also tends to travel straighter, and offers better barrier penetration.

In short, bonded rounds let you have cake and eat it too.
    Yeah I tend to over think things. I like the AK74 though. Not many bullet choices compared to 5.56. I may look to get a Smith & Wesson M&P 10 in .308. Its gained confidence in the gun community. I also don't like to continue buying 7N6 through the internet because thats the only place I can still find it.
    Last edited by Wolf.545 x .39; 01-10-18 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    My opinion:
    5.56>5.45>7.62x39,mainly due to ammo types. If forced to use ball, I don’t think 5.56 and 5.45 are different enough for me to care. The bonded soft points available in 5.56, along with the M4 platform itself, make it my top choice.

I would not feel under-gunned with a 74 type rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    My opinion:
    5.56>5.45>7.62x39,mainly due to ammo types. If forced to use ball, I don’t think 5.56 and 5.45 are different enough for me to care. The bonded soft points available in 5.56, along with the M4 platform itself, make it my top choice.

I would not feel under-gunned with a 74 type rifle.
    I have no ball ammo or fmj in 5.56/2.23. I bought top defensive rounds. Now I'm gonna be buying practice ammo xm193 primarily. I didn't know Hornady Tap 2 tumbled. It explosively fragments after 2 inches. For home defense I have 200 of those loaded in mags. About 200 rounds of Federal 5.56 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw also in mags. I keep the AK74 at a friends house. With me I wanted a gun that didn't require a ton of maintenance and the Saiga 74 fit that bill. I have yet to fire my Colt LE6920 that I bought a year ago I'm gonna keep it maintained pretty good after it gets shot thats for sure.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a LE6920 (Magpul verson M4), and a Romanian CUR II that I converted to a AK-74 clone many years ago. I also have a Polish wz.88 Tantal, also in 5.45 that I built from a kit with an American receiver, before the silly barrel ban. I like both rounds, but shoot the 6920 a lot more because of the bullet choices I have, (I reload) and like the the ergos of the AR-15 pattern rifle. It is just easier for me to shoot it well, but that is personal. YMMV. The round is not the deciding factor for me other than bullet choice, but the 5.45 is just fine.

Feedback Score
    The top rounds are useless if you cant hit shit. You need to verify the function and zero on that colt before thinking about using it for anything serious.

Feedback Score
    The top rounds are useless if you cant hit shit. You need to verify the function and zero on that colt before thinking about using it for anything serious.
    Well for home defense its most likely gonna be on target compared to my Glock 22. My Saiga 74 is stored somewhere else. At 25 yards is why I need to get to a range. I have a Holosun 503C. The sight looks dead on ad it has a 1/3 cowitness with the iron sights. I know a lot of guys here think Holosun is junk but so far so good. I'm sure down the road I'll get an Aimpoint Pro. I have no need to shoot past 100 yards unless for a Chinese invasion at some point. I'm looking at the recently banned Molot Vepr 74. Even though banned can still be bought a but over $1,300 to get one. I thought if Im gonna spend $1,300 on an overpriced rifle maybe I should instead opt for a Smith & Wesson M&P 10 in .308 for $1,000 which is fairly priced. Reliability is king for me which is why I prefer an AK74. Not that,In saying its better than an AR15. I just like that they are so reliable abdxrarely jam. Thing is I buy all my rifle's thinking home defense situations and .308 might be out of the question for that. I live in an urban area and got neighbors closely by. I wanted to buy the Arsenal SLR104FR which is a great AK74 but Arsenal discontinued it. Not many AK74 manufacturers out there. The Molot Vepr 74 is known for being the best built AK74 and it weighs more because its more durable. I Also like the Daniel Defense V7 alot. I'm not sure what rifle is next for me. I don't like buying used guns but I might buy a used Arsenal SLR104FR for a good price.
    Last edited by Wolf.545 x .39; 01-10-18 at 12:19.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I seen a picture of a guy who appeared to be shot in his back by an AK74 with the bullet being 7N6. It exited through his chest. It was a gaping hole but he looked OK. No vitals were hit but for such a small round it really street he'd the wound cavity. But absolutely I never trust a gun until I know it fires.
    Last edited by Wolf.545 x .39; 01-11-18 at 10:10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast