Thread: 1/8 Twist Ammo Selection

Feedback Score

1/8 Twist Ammo Selection

Hello all - I have a 1/8 twist barrel and typically shoot 100-200 yrs. I was trying to see what other have high success rate for tight groups within that range at a lower cost. I am not really wanting to pay $22-25 for a box of 20 rds if not needing to do so. Understand that some guns like other ammo better, however I am sure there are those ammos that often come up and out perform.

Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have no idea what ammo sells for, but for inside of 200, Hornady 50-55 gr VMAX is crazy accurate out of almost anything. 77 smks should shoot great too, but probably cost more.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    85 (99%)
    IMI 77gr Razor Core works well in my 18" BCM 1/8 twist barrel and it is on sale at Midway 240 rds. In ammo can for $134.99.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have no idea what ammo sells for, but for inside of 200, Hornady 50-55 gr VMAX is crazy accurate out of almost anything. 77 smks should shoot great too, but probably cost more.

I'll second this. Lighter weight bullets shoot well out of a good 1:8 twist barrel out to 300 yards. 80g projectiles shoot quite well out to 600 yards.

If a rifle will not shoot 55g V-Max well inside 200 yards, something is terribly wrong with the rifle.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Inside of 200 yds you don't need a heavy bullet. I have any Hornady bullet and ammo of 55 grains to be accurate and the vmax best of all. I'v not had much luck with any 62 gr bullets or ammo except Barnes TSX. On the other hand, The 69gr bthp seems to shoot well in most rifles and most loadings. Federal Match 69 gr should be great. Surprisingly, Federal 62 gr Fusion bonded SP is also accurate. I would start looking st Hornady 55 gr vmmax first.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    I would start looking st Hornady 55 gr vmmax first.
    That ammo can make you think you're a good shooter.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xzebra View Post
    Hello all - I have a 1/8 twist barrel and typically shoot 100-200 yrs. I was trying to see what other have high success rate for tight groups within that range at a lower cost. I am not really wanting to pay $22-25 for a box of 20 rds if not needing to do so. Understand that some guns like other ammo better, however I am sure there are those ammos that often come up and out perform.

Any suggestions?
    I just bought this ammo to play with. Ill let you guys know how it shoots. Going to shoot it in my gun and an established SPR. Still kinda pricy though.

1x 5.56 62GR Federal Lake City - Enhanced MK318 Mod 0 SOST OTM (T556TNB1) - 100rds for $70.00 each

I think we have some vmax in inventory that Mark can spin up too. If not, Ill grab some Saturday .

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-26-18 at 17:31.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That ammo can make you think you're a good shooter.
    No kidding. I got some Hornady 55 grain TAP (which I think is the same) and it is scary accurate out of my stock Colt 6721 with the HBAR.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.