Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Suppressor - Sandman-S vs ? for 5.56

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

First Suppressor - Sandman-S vs ? for 5.56

I'm planning to purchase my first suppressor in the next few weeks and I'm still having a tough time deciding on the best option.

Right now I'm going back and forth between the Dead Air Sandman-S and the Surefire Socom556-RC2. I've also considered the Sandman-K, but I think it may be a bit louder than I want for my only suppressor.

Right now I only have 5.56 rifles and don't have any immediate plans to change that, but it is likely in the distant future. For now, the suppressor would spend close to 100% of it's time on an 11.5" SBR with a reduced gas port Sionics barrel and A5 buffer system.

Sound suppression isn't really my priority, and even then sound at the shooter's ear is more important to me than at the muzzle. From what I've read the Sandman-S and Surefire should do relatively well at the shooter's ear. I plan on wearing hearing protection when shooting, but want to prevent as much hearing damage as possible if I do every fire without hearing protection.

The things that are important to me are as little gas to face as possible, return to zero (accuracy in general), and ability to mount/dismount easily (no sticking). Again, my understanding is that both the Surefire and Sandman-S should perform well in all of these categories. I do slightly prefer the mount on the Sandman as it seems a little easier to do.

The difference in weight and length between the two are negligible. The Sandman is roughly half an inch longer and less than an ounce heavier.

Is there any reason to go with the Surefire (or any 5.56 specific can) over the 30 cal Sandman-S considering I don't plan on using it for anything other than 5.56? It seems to me that the Sandman-S gives me pretty much everything I'd get from the Surefire plus the flexibility of being able to use it on other calibers, and comes it at a slightly lower price. What am I missing?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Honestly the sandman is one of if not the best can available. As good as the surefire’s are, the sandman imo is a step above, especially the mounting system. The only thing I like more about the surefire is their muzzle devices such as the warconp are better when not issuing the suppressor.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 01-10-18 at 11:42.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    MAMS + 556QDC?

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    If I were doing it over, I would probably do Sandman S or Rugged Razor. It's not that I don't like my Saker 762, it's just huge in comparison with not that much, if any noticeable difference to me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstalford View Post
    If I were doing it over, I would probably do Sandman S or Rugged Razor. It's not that I don't like my Saker 762, it's just huge in comparison with not that much, if any noticeable difference to me.
    @jstalford
    Can you clarify what you said?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    MAMS + 556QDC?
    While I'm sure this would be an awesome setup, I can't justify the almost 50% price increase. I'd say the Surefire is getting pretty close to the top of my budget after the tax stamp and 2 muzzle devices.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Honestly the sandman is one of if not the best can available. As good as the surefire’s are, the sandman imo is a step above, especially the mounting system. The only thing I like more about the surefire is their muzzle devices such as the warconp are better when not issuing the suppressor.
    Thanks!

Good point about the muzzle devices when not suppressed. I think I'm willing to give that up to get the flexibility of the Sandman, but that is something I hadn't really considered. I'm more of a flash hider guy by default so I don't think it's a huge sacrifice anyhow.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    @jstalford
    Can you clarify what you said?
    He has a saker 762. It’s big. He’d go sandman s or rugged razor if he was doing it again.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm not sure how I missed the Rugged Razor. I think I'm going to have to throw that in the mix too.

It's a little shorter than the Sandman-S, but I like the Sandman mounting system a bit better.

I'll have to do some research on that one, but right now since it seems it doesn't seem like I have to give much up to go with a 30 cal can I can eliminate the Surefire from the running.

Anybody have a specific reason to choose the Razor over the Sandman-S or vice versa?

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    He has a saker 762. It’s big. He’d go sandman s or rugged razor if he was doing it again.
    Yeah, that ^^^

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast