Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Suppressor - Sandman-S vs ? for 5.56

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I have a Saker 762, Sandman S, and Socom 762 mini 2 (very similar length/weight to Sandman S). The Saker is heavy, but not overly long. I switched from the Trifecta to ASR, and finally to Dead Air's key-mo mount, which is fantastic. That mount is why I purchased the Sandman S. I'm very pleased with the Sandman. The tone is good, and it has a nice balance between suppression and back pressure. I use it on bolt guns and both 7.62 and 5.56 gas guns. It's an excellent all-around can.
    I too have the Omega and also went with the Key mo mount. I have shot the Omega, Saker, and Sandman L all together. The Omega W/Key mo is awesome and the Sandman is just as comparable.

If I was going to buy another rifle can it would be the Sandman. The mounting system is just too go to pass up.

The Omega stays on a precision bolt gun and I have ZERO problems with it. It’s accurate and repeatable.

So either Omega/Sandman for general use and TBAC for all around precision work is my recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I am running a Sandman S on a stoutly gassed 11.5 Daniel Defense upper and don't have any issues with gas to the face (this may be more charging handle than Sandman) or function. I have mounts on several other rifles including the 308 bolt gun that I hunt with and it has yet to disappoint me.

My only gripe, and it is a tiny one, is that it did not come with the end cap tool. Mine shot loose shortly after I bought the can and I did not have the tool to tighten it. Bought the tool, snugged it up once and it has never come loose again. You might want to grab one to make sure it is snug after you shoot the can in a little.

You are looking at solid choices no matter which one you get. Just get ready because you will want more.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
    I am running a Sandman S on a stoutly gassed 11.5 Daniel Defense upper and don't have any issues with gas to the face (this may be more charging handle than Sandman) or function. I have mounts on several other rifles including the 308 bolt gun that I hunt with and it has yet to disappoint me.

My only gripe, and it is a tiny one, is that it did not come with the end cap tool. Mine shot loose shortly after I bought the can and I did not have the tool to tighten it. Bought the tool, snugged it up once and it has never come loose again. You might want to grab one to make sure it is snug after you shoot the can in a little.

You are looking at solid choices no matter which one you get. Just get ready because you will want more.
    Which charging handle are you using for this? I generally use raptors on everything.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It seems like the Rugged Razor (and I'd assume Micro30 in long config) has the Sandman-S beat on length and weight (barely), but the Sandman wins at gas to the face, sound at shooters ear, and attachment method.

I think I'm pretty set on the Sandman at this point since it seems to give me the overall package I'm looking for.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I will jump into the mix and also agree that the Sandman-S is an excellent choice. I have a saker 556, sandman-s, and sandman-k. The S has little to no gas/debris to the face, and that is me being a lefty. It has an excellent mounting system, and is a good mix between weight/OAL and suppression. After all the different suppressors I have tried, I'm still very happy with the sandman.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    I will jump into the mix and also agree that the Sandman-S is an excellent choice. I have a saker 556, sandman-s, and sandman-k. The S has little to no gas/debris to the face, and that is me being a lefty. It has an excellent mounting system, and is a good mix between weight/OAL and suppression. After all the different suppressors I have tried, I'm still very happy with the sandman.
    How much louder is the sandman-K?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Thanks!

Good point about the muzzle devices when not suppressed. I think I'm willing to give that up to get the flexibility of the Sandman, but that is something I hadn't really considered. I'm more of a flash hider guy by default so I don't think it's a huge sacrifice anyhow.
    Dead Air flash hider's don't ping if that bothers you. The tines are the same length but they mill out slightly different amounts along the tines to reduce the harmonics. I'm going to assume, you then lose a little bit of the flash hider effectiveness as compared to other manufacturers designs that have the "ping".
    Last edited by jethroUSMC; 01-11-18 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    How much louder is the sandman-K?
    I don't have Sandman L, S or K comparisons, but I've noticed that anytime I go to a "mini" sized can it's a noticeable increase in Db as compared to larger volume cans. Going to the shortest configuration is about weight an maneuverability vs maximized sound suppression.

In my experience the sandman series tends to have a bit lower tone than some other suppressors on the market.

Another benefit of running a sandman on a 5.56 is that you have more volume in a .30 cal can to make up for the shorter length, and you might gain an additional 1 Db or so sound reduction by changing out the end cap from .30 to 5.56.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have a Rugged Razor on a Sionics 11.5" RGP upper.

We should go shooting sometime. Bring the dog.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jethroUSMC View Post
    Dead Air flash hider's don't ping if that bothers you. The tines are the same length but they mill out slightly different amounts along the tines to reduce the harmonics. I'm going to assume, you then lose a little bit of the flash hider effectiveness as compared to other manufacturers designs that have the "ping".
    I'd definitely prefer no ping. I would think that since the milled areas are on the outside of the tines that it would have minimal impact on the flash suppression capabilities since the gasses would already be dispersed by the time they reached that area.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast