Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP small primers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

.45 ACP small primers

Wanted to share my experience loading .45 ACP. I am sure the majority of you know this, but certainly was new to me.

Started loading .45 ACP on my Dillon, following the setup, a few went as advertised and then hit a snag. Was unable to seat the primer, thinking something was wrong with my setup, when through re-verification. Set that brass aside and resumed the process, next four went without any issue and then another seating issue.

Removed the brass, noticed it was another Blazer. Following closer examination, realized they were small primer pockets vs large primer pockets. Performed a google and lead-free primers are all small primers e.g. CCI/Blazer, Speer, and other Federal.

So now, I have to sort through my brass to remove all small primer brass. Yes, you can load them with small primers, but I am going to toss them.

A few blogs talk about forcing large primers into small primer pockets have resulted in the primer going boom. For sure I would have shit my pants..

Never too old to learn.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've picked up a few small primer .45 ACP cases by accident when policing up my own brass at the local gun club. I haven't seen any advantage to them for target loads or otherwise, so I toss them in the scrap pile.

If you press a primer hard enough, it will go off. I had a Large Rifle Magnum primer detonate while I was seating it on my Dillon RL550B. It makes a heck of a noise and I felt debris blowing out of the mouth of a 30-06 case. I wear safety glasses while reloading, so it could have been worse.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I've picked up a few small primer .45 ACP cases by accident when policing up my own brass at the local gun club. I haven't seen any advantage to them for target loads or otherwise, so I toss them in the scrap pile.

If you press a primer hard enough, it will go off. I had a Large Rifle Magnum primer detonate while I was seating it on my Dillon RL550B. It makes a heck of a noise and I felt debris blowing out of the mouth of a 30-06 case. I wear safety glasses while reloading, so it could have been worse.
    I also have a 550B and thanks for the tip about wearing safety glasses.

Please educate me:
    I read on the Dillon blog, that the small primers used in .45 ACP are lead free. What properties are used in primers?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I ran into that a couple years ago. I kept getting primers that would not seat in an otherwise very smooth system I had set up. I had been picking up a lot of brass people were leaving behind. Sure enough it was Blazer. If you have .45 on a Dillon 5550B and the primers don;t seat very smoothly, something is wrong, and it's probably Blazer brass.

Feedback Score
    I actually prefer the small primer 45. Thanks to this, I never have to switch to the large primer set up on the 550.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
    I actually prefer the small primer 45. Thanks to this, I never have to switch to the large primer set up on the 550.
    Same here. I toss the large primer brass into recycle.

On a side note... as a Dillon 550b owner, I've mashed hundreds of primers into oblivion, and have yet to ignite one. I don't see how someone could get this to happen, but I've read the account of it.
    I no longer use that dog shit primer system on my 550b, and just hand prime or prime on the single stage when I size pistol brass.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    I also have a 550B and thanks for the tip about wearing safety glasses.

Please educate me:
    I read on the Dillon blog, that the small primers used in .45 ACP are lead free. What properties are used in primers?
    I thought all primers marketed in the U.S. contained Lead Styphnate. I could be wrong.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I thought all primers marketed in the U.S. contained Lead Styphnate. I could be wrong.
    I think some of the small primer 45 brass I have is market "NT" (non toxic). I'm not sure what that means exactly...
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    LOL, I just acquired a 550 and have been loading so much 9mm I don't even think of my 45 ! In the big picture I guess it would be easy to just leave the small pistol primer system in the Dillon. Anyways I always kept the pain in the ass SPP separate and just used them for matches that were lost brass matches. Some places they don't let you pick up your fired brass so leave the spp stuff on the ground and no worries ! I have so much LPP 45 brass its would be hard to convert but having the 550 now makes me think about the SPP stuff !

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A lot of the small pistol primer 45 ACP brass comes from winclean ammo. I have a lifetime supply of the old-fashioned large primered 45 ACP brass. I toss the other stuff in the trash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast