Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45 ACP small primers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I think some of the small primer 45 brass I have is market "NT" (non toxic). I'm not sure what that means exactly...
    Mainly what that means is the original ammunition the shell was part of was intended for use in an indoor range.

There has been a big push by environmentalists to get lead out of our life. Some of this has permeated into firearms, ranges etc.

Most cartridges you pick up today are primed with lead styphnate. When that compound fires, there is some airborne lead-bearing residue.

Indoor ranges with the need to reduce lead exposure have requested ammunition makers to produce ammunition with a minimal amount of lead residue.
    The resultant products do not use the lead based explosive in the primers and the back end of the bullet does not have any lead exposed to the powder.

There are technical challenges with the non-lead primer compound though. The stuff doesn't quite behave the same as the styphnate; its more powerful. The solution is to make only small primers - and in many cartridges they are crimped into the shells. To make 45s, they switched to small primer. Since there are fewer large primer pistol cartridges, there may be a benefit to manufacturers to have everything small primer by simplifying the supply chain.

One cool thing is that the brass from the NT ammunition is surprisingly clean after its been fired.

For those of us who now have to start sorting 45s before loading them, it kinda sucks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    For those of us who now have to start sorting 45s before loading them, it kinda sucks.
    I sort everything anyway. I'm used to the suction.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    One cool thing is that the brass from the NT ammunition is surprisingly clean after its been fired.
    Yes, it's very clean. I bought a ton of Federal American Eagle 9mm NT several years ago. I'm still using it. The cases are so clean you could get away without cleaning them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not a common one, but Frankford Arsenal used a proprietary primer in .45 ACP that was smaller than large.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Same here. I toss the large primer brass into recycle.

On a side note... as a Dillon 550b owner, I've mashed hundreds of primers into oblivion, and have yet to ignite one. I don't see how someone could get this to happen, but I've read the account of it.
    I no longer use that dog shit primer system on my 550b, and just hand prime or prime on the single stage when I size pistol brass.
    I've mashed a lot of primers on my 650 but no detonations. The only detonation I have had was on a lee press with priming ram and remington 6.5 primers.

It anyone wants my .45 small primer brass, they can have it for shipping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12