Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
I think some of the small primer 45 brass I have is market "NT" (non toxic). I'm not sure what that means exactly...
Mainly what that means is the original ammunition the shell was part of was intended for use in an indoor range.

There has been a big push by environmentalists to get lead out of our life. Some of this has permeated into firearms, ranges etc.

Most cartridges you pick up today are primed with lead styphnate. When that compound fires, there is some airborne lead-bearing residue.

Indoor ranges with the need to reduce lead exposure have requested ammunition makers to produce ammunition with a minimal amount of lead residue.
The resultant products do not use the lead based explosive in the primers and the back end of the bullet does not have any lead exposed to the powder.

There are technical challenges with the non-lead primer compound though. The stuff doesn't quite behave the same as the styphnate; its more powerful. The solution is to make only small primers - and in many cartridges they are crimped into the shells. To make 45s, they switched to small primer. Since there are fewer large primer pistol cartridges, there may be a benefit to manufacturers to have everything small primer by simplifying the supply chain.

One cool thing is that the brass from the NT ammunition is surprisingly clean after its been fired.

For those of us who now have to start sorting 45s before loading them, it kinda sucks.