Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magpod Review Bipod alternative.

Feedback Score

Magpod Review Bipod alternative.

So I've been using my magpod for over a year and wanted to do a review on them. So I'm not saying that they completely replace bipods, but they do offer a more stable shooting position with minimal weight and cost when compared to a bipod. They attach to a pmag like any other base plate or range plate does. These have come in handy on long distance stages for 3gun, and I feel that they are very useful, the magpod itself also makes it easier to grab hold of the magazine when drawing it from a plate carrier. they come in packs of 3 for around $20. Please check out the video below and if you can please subscribe since YouTube has decided to demonetize my channel altogether after being monetized since 2013. Social media is cracking down on anything pro firearms and hunting.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hu, haven't seen those before. Looks like a useful addition to my minimalist AR setup. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been using MagPods for a long time and they are great for what they are. Definitely not a bipod replacement but they are a lot better than nothing on a gun that you would otherwise never put a bipod on. In fact, they're the only reason I still use Gen M2 PMAGs at all. I think MagPod needs to get their sh*t together and release these for the Gen M3 PMAGs and then move on to make them for GI mags. I have a couple dozen SureFeed mags that I'd love to put these on, and MagPod said they were working on the Gen M3 version probably close to two years ago now, if not longer. I know they put a lot of R&D into these but there's no way it should take that long to bring a slightly altered version of the original to market unless they're trying to reinvent their own wheel again.

Feedback Score
    How does using these make using the mag as a bipod any different than without them?

I have used the mag as a rest many times with nothing on them.

Genuinely curious, not bashing them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    How does using these make using the mag as a bipod any different than without them?
    The difference is massive and it shouldn't even need to be explained. You can tell just by looking at them that rather than balancing the mag on a single, tiny point of contact (i.e. a right angle at the very rear of the magazine) for support, these have feet that are angled appropriately for use as a monopod and have additional with stabilizing "fins" behind that. The foot is also wider and grippier and much more stable than, say, a Ranger Plate, so there is less wobble both side-to-side and back-and-forth.

They facilitate retrieval from mag pouches as well as a Ranger Plate, if not better, and add virtually no weight or bulk so there's really no reason not to have them, IMO.
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 01-26-18 at 12:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    The difference is massive and it shouldn't even need to be explained. You can tell just by looking at them that rather than balancing the mag on a single, tiny point of contact (i.e. a right angle at the very rear of the magazine) for support, these have feet that are angled appropriately for use as a monopod and have additional with stabilizing "fins" behind that. The foot is also wider and grippier and much more stable than, say, a Ranger Plate, so there is less wobble both side-to-side and back-and-forth.

They facilitate retrieval from mag pouches as well as a Ranger Plate, if not better, and add virtually no weight or bulk so there's really no reason not to have them, IMO.
    Who balances their gun on a magazine? Plant the magazine in the ground, shoulder weapon, grab forend and plant elbow. No balancing needed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    Who balances their gun on a magazine? Plant the magazine in the ground, shoulder weapon, grab forend and plant elbow. No balancing needed.
    It's not about "balance" and I'm not sure why it's hard to see the benefits of traction, stability and improved geometry with little to no downside other than the few dollars it costs. They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's also not your run of the mill useless tacticool gimmick either.
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 01-26-18 at 14:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So does it have all of the added benefits of traction and stability when my gun is pointed up or down at an angle? Seems like the only time it actually works as designed is when the gun is perfectly flat shooting at a target at the same elevation. Angle the gun up or down 15 degrees and you are right back to resting the mag on a pointy edge.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    The difference is massive and it shouldn't even need to be explained. You can tell just by looking at them
    LOL....Okay then.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    So does it have all of the added benefits of traction and stability when my gun is pointed up or down at an angle? Seems like the only time it actually works as designed is when the gun is perfectly flat shooting at a target at the same elevation. Angle the gun up or down 15 degrees and you are right back to resting the mag on a pointy edge.
    The rubberized foot still provides a wider and grippier surface if you were angling downwards. Your point is valid if you were aiming upwards at a significant angle from atop a flat surface, but at that point you are still no worse off than a standard baseplate and if you are shooting upwards from behind low cover, it's likely that you'll still gain a bit of enhanced traction supporting the front of the magazine against a vertical surface vs. a standard floorplate.

Again, we can talk in circles all day but the key to these are that they take nothing away from the gun while adding a little something to it, and the price is right at less than half the cost of the magazine it's attached to. It's hard to argue against that, but some will still try just because it doesn't suit their fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    LOL....Okay then.
    You can roll your eyes or just try one for yourself. I have no dog in the fight. They're cheap and they work well for their intended purpose.
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 01-26-18 at 16:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast