Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-NFA 11.5" Barrel Rifle (Franklin Armory Reformation)

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    Euro... what’s your take on a “release” trigger for tactical purposes? I am very familiar with release triggers - on a shotgun.

Also as stated before, I’m lucky enough to get to do regular, formal tactical training with an AR (and handgun). For the life of me I can’t see how a binary trigger would be a good, safe option in a dynamic tactical environment. Again, I get that sound training can overcome some of the nuances of a release trigger but still...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That trigger is a toy. I would not want one. It's too different than every other gun I've ever fired. I know it can be put on safe while the trigger is to the rear to prevent the shot going off at release.

I've had two messed up AR triggers that fired on release. One on a factory new gun that was quickly fixed by the manufacturer. The second was a used FCG I bought. I threw that one away. It's not a good feeling when the gun goes bang and you're not expecting it.

"Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Please delete.
    Last edited by justin_247; 01-22-18 at 19:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    pomyc: A couple of things you might want to consider for a 'tactical' situation and sound training can overcome some of the nuances of a release trigger:

1) how many reps do you have on a conventional trigger?

2) how many of those reps are under stress? Either situational or induced by a timer, etc.

3) do you have to think about trigger manipulation? By this I mean do you have to consciously think yourself through the process under stress.

4) would you ever contemplate using a weapon with a conventional trigger?

5) what would be the likely consequences if you mentally fubared your recollection of which trigger you were shooting? It is one thing to use a shotgun with a release trigger shooting skeet, you are focused on that activity. It is an entirely different thing to go from zero to gunfight in a split second.

6) would slowing down enough to be sure always put you behind the power curve?

Feedback Score
    I think for a precision shot, i.e. "sniper" type stuff, a fire-on-release trigger would be interesting. Think about it: trigger pull *can* pull a shot slightly, although most "sniper" triggers are pretty damn good so it may be a moot point.

Now for general carbine use? Nope.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    26 Inf,

Thanks for the insight. To be clear, I would never use a release/binary trigger on a carbine for any legit SD/HD/tactical situation.

As mentioned, I developed a horrible flinch in shotgun shooting. So much so I went from master class in sporting clays to where I was lucky to shoot in the 70s because the flinch got so bad. Literally it happened overnight. Something is dicked up with my wiring. Not uncommon for high round trap shooters too I guess. Funny thing is I don’t have the flinches hunting or shooting pistol or carbine.

Use of a release trigger on A SHOTGUN really works. I was surprised how little time it took me to adjust to a release trigger. BUT, that is on a static trap/skeet/sporting clays range. With a much time as I have behind conventional and now a release trigger, there is NO WAY I’d use one on a carbine for HD/SD/tactical - taking into consideration or validating the points you make below.

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    pomyc: A couple of things you might want to consider for a 'tactical' situation and sound training can overcome some of the nuances of a release trigger:

1) how many reps do you have on a conventional trigger?

2) how many of those reps are under stress? Either situational or induced by a timer, etc.

3) do you have to think about trigger manipulation? By this I mean do you have to consciously think yourself through the process under stress.

4) would you ever contemplate using a weapon with a conventional trigger?

5) what would be the likely consequences if you mentally fubared your recollection of which trigger you were shooting? It is one thing to use a shotgun with a release trigger shooting skeet, you are focused on that activity. It is an entirely different thing to go from zero to gunfight in a split second.

6) would slowing down enough to be sure always put you behind the power curve?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    26 Inf,

Thanks for the insight. To be clear, I would never use a release/binary trigger on a carbine for any legit SD/HD/tactical situation.

As mentioned, I developed a horrible flinch in shotgun shooting. So much so I went from master class in sporting clays to where I was lucky to shoot in the 70s because the flinch got so bad. Literally it happened overnight. Something is dicked up with my wiring. Not uncommon for high round trap shooters too I guess. Funny thing is I don’t have the flinches hunting or shooting pistol or carbine.

Use of a release trigger on A SHOTGUN really works. I was surprised how little time it took me to adjust to a release trigger. BUT, that is on a static trap/skeet/sporting clays range. With a much time as I have behind conventional and now a release trigger, there is NO WAY I’d use one on a carbine for HD/SD/tactical - taking into consideration or validating the points you make below.

They have a similar thing for archery. Standard release is a trigger, they also make a "relax" trigger for those that get target panic (flinch). It works.. for a while.. they you start flinching the other way.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Well we should know today.

Anyone need a paper bag to breathe into?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Well we should know today.

Anyone need a paper bag to breathe into?
    I doubt I will ever buy one, I'm just interested in the why. I bet it something stupid simple.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looks like the exception is from using straight rifling which diodes not impart a spin to the bullet.

I was hoping it was based on the OAL.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Looks like the exception is from using straight rifling which diodes not impart a spin to the bullet.

I was hoping it was based on the OAL.
    Source?

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast