Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-NFA 11.5" Barrel Rifle (Franklin Armory Reformation)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Did anyone bother to read where they state that it has already been approved by Chief of the Firearms Technology Division?
    Has anyone found a link to the paperwork saying it is GTG as a regular transfer from the Chief of the Firearms Technology Division?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Did anyone bother to read where they state that it has already been approved by Chief of the Firearms Technology Division?
    Yeah, just speculating on the why. No luck finding any ATF correspondence or patents that provide insight. I also think the answer to my question of what NRS stands for is fairly clear on the press release photo (Not a Rifle, not a Shotgun). My bad.
    Last edited by slimedog; 01-11-18 at 21:13.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fivepointoh View Post
    Said it on the other site, I'm guessing they made the barrel and upper receiver one piece or perm attached the barrel to the upper, bringing the "barrel" to a total length over 16".
    They measure barrels from the bolt face to the end of the "muzzle" or perm attached device, I believe.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I enjoy a good puzzle, but I can’t figure this one out, I hope they spill the secret so other manufacturers can follow suit, I’d appreciate another 11.5 BCM, or a Colt Commando.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's stated that the buttstock is standard, but does it have a standard receiver extension that allows the stock to be extended? If it's fixed in the shown position, then how is that different than a pistol with a Sig Brace (or similar attachment)? I'm sure it's more complex than this, since it hasn't been done before.

This won't be a long term puzzle, since Shot Show isn't too far away.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-13-18 at 00:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think the loophole is the overall length. The BATF has issued a letter that says a pistol with a minimum OAL of 26 inches is a "firearm" and can have a vertical foregrip. An AR with an 11.5" barrel meets the OAL minimum. The caveat is that this firearm is not legal to carry concealed.

As IG pointed out, Franklin Armory got approval from the Chief of Firearms Division. Franklin Armory doesn't play games. They work with the BATF. That's how they got the Binary Trigger approved before it was released to the market.

This is pretty exciting development. It opens up options we never had before. Suddenly, that Colt lower from Brownells looks even better!
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Another thought just occurred to me- If the exception is based on the minimum OAL 14.5 inch uppers are also legal!

I am American

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Read somewhere someone called FA and confirmed it is not smoothbore.
    Looks like it has a three position fire selector, so if ‘binary’ from manufacture does it skirt lines between classes of ‘firearm’ and ‘rifle’

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The term “Rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(7)
    What if the trigger required two "pulls" of the trigger to fire? Still a rifle?
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Binary trigger does not change the category a firearm falls under. Check out the Franklin Armory XO Series. It takes advantage of the OAL minimum to allow the use of a vertical foregrip.

https://www.franklinarmory.com/collections/xo-series

I am American

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast