Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Non-NFA 11.5" Barrel Rifle (Franklin Armory Reformation)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    So, those football bullets...

Interesting...

I dunno, it's interesting. I think it's more of a novelty then anything. But, hey, some of the funnest firearms are novelty.
    As I discussed before, this would actually be a devastating round if stable. There are smooth bore air rifles that are moa accurate and can hit out to several hundred yards with a drag stablized bullet

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    As I discussed before, this would actually be a devastating round if stable. There are smooth bore air rifles that are moa accurate and can hit out to several hundred yards with a drag stablized bullet
    I would expect it (nerf bullet) to track very straight in flesh, with no upset. An expanding round would probably have very little weight to work with.

I would be curious to see what happens to a 77 in flight and in gelatin.

So far, this is a disappointing novelty, as I expected.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    MBTs only went smooth bore because the ammo dictated it. HEAT rounds don't work when spinning. Same with many other modern rounds. Once we moved past solid shot and APCR and HESH it was a requirement.

The same is not true of small arms. I don't see a single benefit to this idea.
    We were shooting fin stabilized HEAT rounds out of rifled bores before smooth bore tanks were a thing... smooth bore tanks are about APFSDS; which, ironically, have replaced HEAT for the most part.

The benefit is that you don't have to get a tax stamp, and it blurs the lines around the NFA just a little bit more. It may also allow some folks who live in non SBR places to 'SBR'.

Nobody is forcing any one to buy one of these, and now that the genie is out of the bottle, anybody should be able to buy/have made a smooth bore barrel and make their own for very little cost. The key is, and will be, ammo that shoots straight that you can afford to shoot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    I dunno...

If it's stabilization doesn't break, it might just punch right through and merely poke holes.

My Novelty comment comes down to this:

Will the football round do anything a 55gr Boat tailed bullet won't do in regards to dickin' up a 2 legged foe?

I don't see the allure of needing proprietary ammo at a considerably higher cost.

Already hearing 3-4 MOA with 55gr M193 out of this thing on one of the Media or Industry days.

It will suffice for a "choot 'em dead" CQC <100yds rifle. But for 2k, I am glad I live in a state that allows AR pistols (in a less than 26" OAL configuration).

Again, I stand by my comment: Novelty Ammo, for a Novelty Rifle, sold to a Novelty Crowd. No offence meant by it if it gets your rocks off, just it is what it is.

Overall, I still respect them for working with BAFTE to get it approved and sold. I just wonder what happens if Binary triggers go with Bump Stocks.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425