Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Stuff You Changed Your Mind About

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    Voting pure republican.
    Getting a red Congress, and a red president, and still can’t get our gun rights back.
    Unfortunately it was a choice between a leaky dam and a fully breached one, but I digress.

Going from wanting lots of tacticool stuff to barebones keep-it-light-and-functional rifle setups. Tacticool = heavy.
    Last edited by grnamin; 01-12-18 at 12:14.

Feedback Score
    Glocks are innaccurate
    A good trigger is important on a carry gun.
    A unique gun is better than a common one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Was it a real-deal M-14 or a semi clone? 'Cause the real M-14 is easier to field strip, the op-rod being the biggest PIA about it. The real ones have a notch where once the FA disconnector rod is removed the op-rod will slide right out. Now semi clones are a REAL frustration getting that damn op-rod in and out. Gotta play with it, wiggle it, fernagle the damn thing like convincing some high school hottie to do it on your first date. Especially bad if new.
    Real deal Winchester M14 I had as a patrol rifle. It wasn't as intuitive (to me) as like an AR.

The black drill sergeant from Forrest Gump would have frowned upon me

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    This.

Gun shows were a place to haggle, trade, and see neat stuff. In the heyday some folks would bring Class III that wasn't for sale but you could see it and they would advertise rentals and shoots.

It was almost like a comic convention for guns.

Now.....bleh.

Why go look at weirdos when I can stay home. I almost wish people could get a personal "buyer only" FFL where you could just buy off Amazon or whatever and not leave the house.

I know several things make that not feasible but still. It is [The Current Year], I can watch old Miami Vice re-runs on the can but I still am forced to talk to people to buy guns/vehicles/etc in person.

We still have those shows here. No so much haggling or swap meet like but definitely tons of stuff. Class 3, MP40s, STG44s, RPDs, AKs, Stens....even a Beretta 97, Browning 50 on a anti airplane rotating thing, just all kinds of cool stuff. Lots of derp too but I ignore that. I go looking for a few things and ignore the rest

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I live 25 minutes from the largest Convention Center in 150 miles.

There's actually a show in February that's sponsored by the NRA. It was in my last issue of Shooting Illustrated advertised anyways.

Our gun shows are okay, but only for the old timers selling used stuff like clay throwers for 15 dollars. Etc.

Otherwise, it's my chance to finger-f*** as many different handguns as I can at different tables and telling the guy "Yeah, I'll take a card, your prices look a little high, but good stock." While they sit there with a smug look on their face saying: "Well, I am a little flexible." Kay, I like your salesman ship, but I can avoid the face-to-face trouble by ordering from buds for 15-25% less and go visit the FFL/Gunsmith that knows me by name and charges 20.

Or, spending time avoiding the fudds who wanna talk you into something stupid. Or the receiver tables selling those Tiffany and Hot Pink colored stripped receivers for 150 a pop.

When, or if I go, I usually go on Sunday when I know people are ready to pack up and go home so they let me haggle them down. I wait until they're a bit more secluded, that way they don't feel pressured due to others around. I have picked up an anderson for 30 from one they had marked at 80.

So, it depends on the day. I avoid first day like a plague. Way to many dumb mofos. At least ours lets us carry at them too.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 01-12-18 at 12:44.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When it comes to guns there is no absolute right answer, but there are plenty of wrong answers.

Many of the forums are loaded with people with the wrong answers. Present company excepted.

I'm continually evolving, but at a slower pace now...

My evolution is similar to many I've read above.

Used to...
    - Love 1911s, now, I think they are nice as collectors pieces.

- Love steel and wood guns, now, I just think they are pretty.

- Think the M14 (M1A) was an awesome rifle, now, I wouldn't own one.

- Think old guns were made better, and old military designs were proven and superior, now, I think they are just old guns, designed with inferior technology, with loose tolerances, and inferior metallurgy.

- Think the Mini-14 was the best civilian 5.56, now I just think they are not-scary fun plinkers.

- Think the AR15 (M16) is unreliable, now they are my Go To guns (all 12).

- Be wary of plastic handguns, now, they are my Go To guns.

- Think I wanted an SBR, now I know I want to SBR one of my SCAR 16s but can't in Commiefornia.

- Think shotguns were the best home defense weapon, uh no.

- Think AKs were awesome, now they are crude farm equipment quality reliable short range blasters that shoot cheap ammo (and useful for that only).

- Hate HK, now they are nice quality but out of touch with the American market, and do not fit my needs.

- Want a large collection of firearms, now that I have it, I want a smaller more targeted collection.

- Want a large stock pile of ammunition, now, I have a large stock pile of ammunition, but I wish I had the time to add more by loading my own.

- Want a wife and kids who like to shoot, now I have a wife and kids who like to shoot, but they shoot up too much ammo. LOL

- Want to save my brass for reloading, now I have boxes of brass and no time to reload. So, I stopped saving brass.

- Think that people buy guns to shoot and become proficient, now I realize that the majority of people buy guns and have no idea how to use them properly.

- Think I liked pistol shooting, now I prefer rifles, but like both.

- Think precision shooting would be boring, now, I wish I had the time to get into it and a range close enough to go to.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Year ago I wouldn't buy a Glock... Just didn't see the need when I only shot range targets and could carry my 1911 openly or concealed quite comfortably. 10 rounders worked for times when I would shoot production matches. Who needs a plastic gun and 15/17 rounds?

Now I have a G17 race gun and I think I have seven different G19s. Love the things.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    At this point, I'm pretty much totally burned out on firearms and shooting. What was once a fun hobby is now just a huge pile of crap weighing me down. I also find modern "gun culture" annoying as well as a good percentage of gun owners that I meet.

So, I guess the gun thing that I changed my mind about is the gun thing.

Oh well. I'm gonna let it all sit for a while and see if I feel any different about it all in 6 or 8 months.

If not, I can just liquidate it all and get some of my money back when the feeding frenzy kicks back off summer 2020..
    Last edited by kerplode; 01-12-18 at 15:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    At this point, I'm pretty much totally burned out on firearms and shooting. What was once a fun hobby is now just a huge pile of crap weighing me down. I also find modern "gun culture" annoying as well as a good percentage of gun owners that I meet.

Oh well. I'm gonna let it all sit for a while and see if I feel any different about it all in 6 or 8 months.

If not, I can just liquidate it all and get some of my money back when the feeding frenzy kicks back off summer 2020..
    It might happen a little sooner than that. If congress and the senate change in 2018, it could revive gun sales. But for sure in 2020 if Trump keeps inserting his foot into his big mouth. I keep hoping he will learn his lessons, but now I'm convinced he'll torpedo himself before a re-election.

Problem is; When the panic happens because it looks like the Prog Tards are going to win, I get spooked myself and start to wonder if I should sell.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 01-12-18 at 15:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post

So no CCW or HD interest/concerns?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast