Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Gun Stuff You Changed Your Mind About

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Same here. Me having not been to a gun show in 20 years I decided to take my son to one last year. Even as a 12 year old who has never been to a gun show he was completely unimpressed. I almost wanted to go ask for my money back.
    I took my daughter to one this year and we wanted a refund as well. I walked around once and thought what a waste of money...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Went to a Gun Show today, all in all it wasn't bad.
    I saw seven different variants of of Browning's High Power. Damn things are the most beautiful yet impractical pistol I ever wanted to own.
    I bought three real deal GI AR magazine for 10 bucks a pop and got my boots polished for 2 bucks.
    So although I've sworn off Gun Shows a half dozen times, this one wasn't bad.
    Shotguns, especially 870's were my dream home defense gun for a long time and I've owned and modified a couple.
    Now I only own one and it's a very early 870 and a fud gun.
    1911's they were my sidearm in the Military and I bought a Colt for my retirement. I sent it off and dropped another 1000+ in cheesing it up. It sets in the safe.
    AK's, let's just say "I drank the Kool aid. I bought three and that's two too many.
    Glocks, they sucked so bad at first, now they are my favorite pistols. Cutting my teeth on 1911's made Glocks difficult at first.
    There's a lot more, but it's kind of boring and silly, I could write a book on the subject.

Feedback Score
    I didn't have the extensive background in firearms many of you have, but i had a few things I used to believe...

Plastic holsters would never replace my leather..

a DA .44 revolver was the best gun for the boonies...

I'd always prefer a pump shotgun over an autoloader...

I had to get an AK because they were superior to the AR...

I used to think ammo was something that was bought right before a range visit or hunting trip, since it was always available...

When I was in my 20's in the 1980's, even though I was in the military, my handguns were all revolvers, my shotguns were pump action, and my rifles were all bolt actions. I did a lot of steel and paper target shooting and hunted. In the mid 90's, kids, college, and career took over, and hunting and shooting took a back seat. All the revolvers were sold off when I left AK in 2001.

Got back into shooting only recently in 2008 when I bought my 14 year old daughter a Ruger 10-22 and later a Sig Mosquito. My first Glock was a G23 in 2008 and AR (Ruger SR556) in 2010.

Today, I'm basically buying guns that I want to pass on to my kids later on. They may or may not want them, but I'm gonna at least give them that option, since I never had it, coming from a family of fishermen and not gun owners...
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 01-14-18 at 09:54.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Get emails all the time from SOT's giving up their licenses and needing to sell their inventory. Passed up on a couple post samples that didn't need LAW letter that I really regret but had to adult instead (truck needs new tires BADLY and I need a enclosed trailer to haul my training course supplies around in).
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I was a fan of the 40 S&W for just long enough to buy both a Kahr K-40 and a Glock G-23. The caliber just doesn't offer enough gain to offset the increased ammunition cost, increased recoil, and I will have 9mm guns reguardless (Hi Power, P38, P6, CZ-75). Of course, now I am stuck with a K-40......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah. Saw a Smith Model 22 4" N frame come up for sale yesterday for about a grand. Actually thought about it for 5 minutes or so before admitting the obvious; don't need it, probably wouldn't even shoot it much. So I guess that 100 .45 auto rim cases I have stashed will languish in the drawer until the Big Clean-Up.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Glocks don't shoot well. Got into 1911's which I shot much better. Tried the Glock again, shot it better/well, and now have several including CCW a 19.
    Grew up hunting with rifles (deer) and shotguns (quail). Never understood why anyone needed to own an AR. I now understand and own several.
    What's a red dot? duh

Found this site and my 1st AR was a Daniel Defense V1 many years ago.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Yeah. Saw a Smith Model 22 4" N frame come up for sale yesterday for about a grand. Actually thought about it for 5 minutes or so before admitting the obvious; don't need it, probably wouldn't even shoot it much. So I guess that 100 .45 auto rim cases I have stashed will languish in the drawer until the Big Clean-Up.
    I am sort of the opposite these days. I have all the defensive pistols I or my children or granddaughter will ever need. So last week I bought a Model 27 5" purely as a fun gun. I have lusted after one for about 5 years. Paid cash, since that is the only way I buy guns.

I'd turned my back on wheelguns years ago. But after spending 2016 shooting literally nothing but double-action revolvers (even in classes against semi-autos) I found my accuracy and speed with a Glock went way up.

Plus, they are just a ton of fun to shoot. I do fun range sessions, and "real" range sessions. The revolvers are just a ton of fun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I used to think piston ars were more reliable.

I bought a LWRCi upper. It sucked it was not reliable. It ate op rod springs in well under 1000rnds.

A well tuned di system on a quality gun is what an ar should be. In the 10 plus upper since then not one has been a piston, and I’ll mever buy another one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I am sort of the opposite these days. I have all the defensive pistols I or my children or granddaughter will ever need. So last week I bought a Model 27 5" purely as a fun gun. I have lusted after one for about 5 years. Paid cash, since that is the only way I buy guns.

I'd turned my back on wheelguns years ago. But after spending 2016 shooting literally nothing but double-action revolvers (even in classes against semi-autos) I found my accuracy and speed with a Glock went way up.

Plus, they are just a ton of fun to shoot. I do fun range sessions, and "real" range sessions. The revolvers are just a ton of fun.
    I think I am about 30 years younger than you, if not more. I recently came to the same conclusion in my own shooting, that being able to run guns, that are, perhaps not as easy to gun, make other guns easier. Also, running a revolver well is soooooo rewarding and fun that it really makes you feel bad ass. While I run autos for HD, carry, and most of my other preferences, I still look at revolvers as fun guns, and just because I need guns that are not just pure combatives. And there is something to say for being able to work multiple platforms, especially if you are teaching others. But just solely focusing on a single platform or gun can be counter productive, because it will wear on you and if there is no longer any fun to be had, even the hardest man will become indifferent. And there is also the aspect that I have had where shooting someone else's gun, even if it is similar to mine, that I do learn small things about my own gun and shooting that lets me be a better shooter.

In short, I will continue to buy and own and shoot various types of firearms, pistols, rifles, shotguns, and try to learn more about them. Will I be focused more on my primary? Absolutely, I will continue to put 3-5 rounds to 1 down the pipe of my go to guns over my play guns, but make no mistake that you can't learn, even as a very driven competitor, shooting something different occasionally.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast