Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Reliable .308 semi auto best bang for the Buck??

Feedback Score
    How does the colt sp/le/marc 901 line up with the other options?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-18-18 at 22:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The M&P10 seems to be a very good choice unless you want to suppress it. People seem to have issues with it and that and an adjustable gas block is then needed.

The armalite ar-10's can be had in the same range and my experience with them again is good if you don't suppress(or spend more on the suppressor ready ones).

Past that LMT, KAC, Scar 17, etc. I've had to retorque my scar 17 barrel but other than that its been a beast both suppressed and unsuppressed.

Larue has their ultimate upper series in 308 as well. Might want to check that out(you can get a larue lower to go with it).

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Midwest Industries is another choice. I don’t know how many are out there, but I have not seen bad reviews of them. My 16” has not had enough rounds through to judge reliability, but cycled with and w/o can with an SLR adj gas block.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...arms-s/294.htm
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Works for me.

Excellent choice. Got a couple myself.
    Nullus amicus melior - Nullus inimicus perior

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have owned all the players in the 308 game other than KAC. Larue >> LMT >> FN SCAR >> HK and than final back to Larue. I think I will stay here this time. I learned a bit about what I was personally looking for on my journey and I think I have my needs and wants covered.

I have a PredatOBR at the moment and love it. However, Larue’s ultimate upper kit represents the best deal going at the moment for a large frame AR if you are not afraid to put it together yourself.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I wanted to suppress a 308 semi auto, so I chose the SCAR 17.

Rough round count around 2500, all but 750 of that suppressed as an SBR.

I have run 750 rds over 9 months with zero cleaning and a couple random drops of lube (all SBR / Suppressed) - zero issues other than being dirty as heck.

Only 2 malfunctions were due to a broken feed lip on a FN OEM 20rd magazine that lodged on the Bolt face, causing light strikes. Cause was improper heat treating during production - thankfully it didn't get in the chamber / barrel. FN replaced the offending magazine and a second that broke while inspecting it.

Still very happy with the SCAR, but it's an expensive rifle to buy and customize.

If I wanted a budget 308 I'd likely go with the S&W MP10.

If I wanted a precision 308 semi, I'd consider LMT heavily, KAC if I had the coin.

But for my desires (SBR / Suppressed), the SCAR is the perfect solution.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    I have owned all the players in the 308 game other than KAC. Larue >> LMT >> FN SCAR >> HK and than final back to Larue. I think I will stay here this time. I learned a bit about what I was personally looking for on my journey and I think I have my needs and wants covered.

I have a PredatOBR at the moment and love it. However, Larue’s ultimate upper kit represents the best deal going at the moment for a large frame AR if you are not afraid to put it together yourself.
    Deal to beat right now if you're set on AR10/large frame is the LaRue Ultimate Upper .308/6.5CM/.260 Rem with barrel length, coating, muzzle brake, and handguard options.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...5cm-upper-kit/

You can do FDE or UDE for an additional $99, which is what it costs me normally to get just 2 major components professionally coated.

Feedback Score
    IME, for under $1600, M1A is the most reliable 308 gas gun.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
    IME, for under $1600, M1A is the most reliable 308 gas gun.
    Why? Have you compared it to an FN-FAL or a VEPR .308? And to a M&P10? To an Armalite AR-10?

Nothing wrong with the M1A, but I question a blanket claim that it is "the most reliable 308 gas gun" under $1600.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    How does the colt sp/le/marc 901 line up with the other options?
    My colt 901 has been 100% reliable so far, I don't have it set up as a battle rifle, more of a DMR. I added a surefire socom brake, geissele ssa-e, and a trijicon accupower 3-9 mil square to it. It has fed cheap ZQI ammo, it does very well accuracy wise with hornady 168 gr Amax. It is under an inch with that, 168 Federal gold medal match is right an inch to inch and a quarter. I did have my VCOG on it for a bit to see how it handled as a battle rifle and I thought with the brake it shot like a standard m4.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast