Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KAC SR-15 Mod 2 w/ VLTOR A5 Buffer

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Mine are both 16”.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    This is a dumb question. Sorry, not sorry. It's the truth.

The answer is simple: KAC SR-15s will cycle any of the ammo listed, regardless of the buffer.

If you want to split hairs with the AR-15 platform, and are building from the ground up, the A5 buffer system is the best-case engineering answer. If you're buying complete rifles (at KAC prices, no less), just run what works; which is to say, stfu and shoot your rifle.
    I like the directness. I'm putting the factory uppers on a lower I'm putting together myself, hence the question. Sounds like the A5 is the way to go, thanks for the help guys.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Our in-house testing indicates that the most reliable setup for SR-15s is with the KAC provided buffer, standard receiver extension, and standard spring, with action spring replacement every 5,000 rounds or so. Design parameters cover ammunition from 55gr PMC to Mk 262 Mod 1, suppressed and unsuppressed. This is not terribly surprising, as these are the variables that the guns are designed, built, and tested around.
    If you are willing to cede some aspect of the design intent for a gain in another aspect, that's certainly your choice to make, I simply have not seen any real gain with SR-15s (as opposed to carbine length gas systems) by going to the A5.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyyke View Post
    The ammo I'm concerned about is Wolf Gold, PMC Bronze, along with a little Tula. The rest of the ammo I have is 5.56 (IMI, MEN, various Green Tip) so I'm not too concerned about it being underpowered for the A5.
    If you're concerned, don't dick with it. Unless you know something the engineers at KAC don't know, I'm not seeing a compelling case to spend that kind of money on an upper only to turn around and potentially cause yourself problems chasing an incremental reduction in felt recoil. I tested mine with an H buffer and it ran but it narrowed the window of operation when dirty. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Our in-house testing indicates that the most reliable setup for SR-15s is with the KAC provided buffer, standard receiver extension, and standard spring, with action spring replacement every 5,000 rounds or so. Design parameters cover ammunition from 55gr PMC to Mk 262 Mod 1, suppressed and unsuppressed. This is not terribly surprising, as these are the variables that the guns are designed, built, and tested around.
    If you are willing to cede some aspect of the design intent for a gain in another aspect, that's certainly your choice to make, I simply have not seen any real gain with SR-15s (as opposed to carbine length gas systems) by going to the A5.
    Thank you for the advice. Out of curiosity, why does the 14.5 upper come with a buffer and the 16 does not?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I think I asked you this before, but precisely how heavy (oz) is the KAC buffer? I own a SR-15 Mod 2. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, nor do I own a scale to weigh the buffer.

As an aside, considering how cheap 5.56 NATO spec M855 is, I am uncertain as to why anyone would want to feed a KAC upper Wolf or Federal XM193 ammo (which is analgous to hitting Top Flight X-outs with a $500 titanium driver).

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyyke View Post
    Thank you for the advice. Out of curiosity, why does the 14.5 upper come with a buffer and the 16 does not?
    The assumption is that a buyer of an upper will either be putting it on a KAC lower (which comes with the standard buffer), or their own, which is most likely to already have a suitable buffer.
    Since the 11.5 and 14.5 are designed around an H2 buffer (counter to the far more common 16" and 18" guns), we throw it in.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    I think I asked you this before, but precisely how heavy (oz) is the KAC buffer? I own a SR-15 Mod 2. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, nor do I own a scale to weigh the buffer.

As an aside, considering how cheap 5.56 NATO spec M855 is, I am uncertain as to why anyone would want to feed a KAC upper Wolf or Federal XM193 ammo (which is analgous to hitting Top Flight X-outs with a $500 titanium driver).
    Standard weight buffer is 3.0oz.
    H2 (21057) buffer weighs 4.7oz.

I actually do shoot quite a bit of PMC through my personal guns. Mostly for Run-n-gun type competitions inside 50. Lots of those places don't allow M855, mostly with regard to steel, and I don't want to chance accidentally throwing in a mag of 855 and getting DQ'd. PMC matches my POI for a lot of my precision-ish ammo, so I'm not thinking about offset differences should I need to use it a mid-range. Also, when I let folks try the gun out, I don't want to burn my "good" ammo, so they get PMC. But yeah, no XM193 for me, thanks.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I have an SR15 Mod 2 with an A5 system. I've never had any reliability issues, but the power disparity between weak-ass Wolf .223 and regular military M193 is much more apparent. Still no malfunctions, though. I really appreciate the smoothness the A5 gives you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’m running a H2 buffer in my SR-15 Mod 2. No issues with anything from cheap .223 to MK262.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast