Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3x Fixed optic users

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

3x Fixed optic users

I wanted to get some insight from those who use a 3x optic to see what you feel it’s true niche is? Here is where I am at currently. After thinning the herd a bit I have a Steiner M332 without a home. My current line up is:

14.5” BCM with an MRO- my primary
    16” Rainier with a Holosun 503GU. Used the 3x on this one when I wanted to shoot at the 100 yard range.
    16” lightweight build that has been somehow been taken over by my son so it also wears a Holosun 503GU.

Most of my shooting is now focused on up close ranges (inside of 50 yards 99% of time) so with that in mind I am not sure where the Steiner fits? Does anyone run a 3x as their primary with an offset micro red dot? Just wanted to get some insights before I continue the purge of excess equipment.

Take care

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Run N Shoot View Post
    I wanted to get some insight from those who use a 3x optic to see what you feel it’s true niche is? Here is where I am at currently. After thinning the herd a bit I have a Steiner M332 without a home. My current line up is:

14.5” BCM with an MRO- my primary
    16” Rainier with a Holosun 503GU. Used the 3x on this one when I wanted to shoot at the 100 yard range.
    16” lightweight build that has been somehow been taken over by my son so it also wears a Holosun 503GU.

Most of my shooting is now focused on up close ranges (inside of 50 yards 99% of time) so with that in mind I am not sure where the Steiner fits? Does anyone run a 3x as their primary with an offset micro red dot? Just wanted to get some insights before I continue the purge of excess equipment.

Take care
    If 99% of my shooting was inside of 50 yards I wouldn't handicap myself with a 3X prism sight unless I was only shooting paper. If all was inside of 250 I would say the same thing but I don't shoot paper.

Feedback Score
    Frankly, it sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of what each category of optic can do. Since most of your shooting is within 50 yds., what do you need an optic for? Just use your iron sites. Riflemen have been doing it for centuries. To address your question directly, I prefer a 3x for 50yds.+. Anything less and I just dismount my scope and use iron sites. Something about hitting a target using my iron just makes me feel good.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for the responses! Looks like the equipment reduction will continue.

Feedback Score
    I am an iron sight guy and feel really confident about hitting things at 100 yards or less------until I saw a movie. This was Lone Survivor. Remember the scene where the Seal thinks someone is following them and pans the trees some distance away. At first, nothing, but then a Talaban with an AK peeps around the tree trunk. The Seal keeps on him and when only part of his body is exposed from behind the tree, he shoots and kills him.

I am not sure I would hit him with irons on my best day under those circumstances. Even within 50 yards, the added precision of a magnified optic may have value. Another thought, what about situations were your opposition is under camoflage. You may miss seeing him altogether with the naked eye but pick him out with only slight magnification.

Or am I wrong here. Please tell me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I am an iron sight guy and feel really confident about hitting things at 100 yards or less------until I saw a movie. This was Lone Survivor. Remember the scene where the Seal thinks someone is following them and pans the trees some distance away. At first, nothing, but then a Talaban with an AK peeps around the tree trunk. The Seal keeps on him and when only part of his body is exposed from behind the tree, he shoots and kills him.

I am not sure I would hit him with irons on my best day under those circumstances. Even within 50 yards, the added precision of a magnified optic may have value. Another thought, what about situations were your opposition is under camoflage. You may miss seeing him altogether with the naked eye but pick him out with only slight magnification.

I think that is where an LPV comes in. You lose a little speed compared to a rds on 1x, but not much while having ability to go to 6x quickly

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

If OP had this kind of need I think he would have identified it by now. Also, in 95% of those situations, you could also just shoot through the tree and get the same result. (Does not work with concrete columns or armor steel. YMMV. Offer not valid in New Jersey. No purchase required to win.)

You can play the "what-if" game infinitely. What if you have only 0.3 second to make your shot, and the 1-6x variable slows you down enough that you miss?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You are not wrong, however, while valid, that is still only one piece to the optic puzzle and not the entire answer.

If you are only shooting under 50yards and only use it for range work, go with whatever you enjoy. Paper won’t ever try to hunt you down, so you have a world filled with options to play around with.

ETA- I have an industry friend who can pick from any optic they want, including items we will never see in public, and this individual feels without question that a 3x is the perfect optic for their wants and needs.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I mount a 3x30 TA33 ACOG with red chevron. The reticle is about the right size to use as an RDS at less than 100 yards, and of course beyond that it is really useful. It's not quite as fast to pick up as a simple red dot, but with practice you can put the tip of the reticle on a closer range target and zap it quickly enough.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Also a fan of the TA33, can run it with both eyes open like a RDS, got a little magnification which can be useful, at longer range it works much better than iron sights or a RDS and has illumination. It makes a very good what I like to call a battle rifle sight such as the old SUIT type sights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast