Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Missile false alarm in Hawaii

Feedback Score
    maybe a bit like the air raid sirens used for tsunami warnings going off ? most locals were busy surfing or working

also the 3rd world charm that Hawaii has I laughed and thought YUP this is what happens

dude in charge of the button thought he was refreshing the surf report or something

when I worked on the boats we had a guy all concerned with the crews lack of whatever

he asked if we got in a war and saw a mushroom cloud over Oahu what we would do ?

we said anyone want off jump everyone else we are heading to Tahiti or Fiji
    Last edited by Honu; 01-13-18 at 20:37.

Feedback Score
    Dec. 7th, 1941---no alarm. Jan. 13th, 2018, false alarm. These are the same Democrats in charge in Hawaii who question Trump's mental fitness. After the first guy simply pushed the wrong button, the computer asked him a second time if this is really what he wanted to do, and he said "yes". The cell phone notifications when out. Then, it took these mental giants 13 minutes to send out a tweet, not cell notification, that the whole thing was a mistake. It took over 30 minutes to get cell phone notification. Oh yes, and then some of the cold war era sirens went off further panicking the people but the "authorities" said there was no connection or coordination between the people making the cell false alarm and the people operating the sirens.

Meanwhile, the North Korean bomb and missile program seems to be making strides daily. Can we trade this team of top technicians in Hawaii for and equal number of North Korean rocket scientists? Or just have the Hawaiians defect to N. Korea. We would probably be a lot safer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm more a Tahiti guy myself...
    I am usually in Kaanapali or Princeville. So I guess I can watch the cloud.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I honestly think it was on purpose. Just blame it on pushing a wrong button. What better way to actually see if it works and what happens?

Think about it: it went out over every cellphone, even visitors. So that means it went via the cell towers. Now everyone these days has a cellphone, to include the people running the "test". So that means even they received the message that it was not a drill, yet it took like 34 minutes before a retraction message was sent. You think the people running it got the same "erroneous" text and didn't instantly say "Oh shit! Gotta fix this NOW"? Another message correcting it could have been sent out just as quick, yet it took 34 minutes? Nah, methinks this was a real-life drill to see what happened.
    The problem with that idea is, and this has been the issue with the tsunami sirens, is that if you start popping false alarms, people stop taking them seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    we said anyone want off jump everyone else we are heading to Tahiti or Fiji
    That's the spirit!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I dunno where there is to hide in Hawaii within 15 minutes.

If I got that on my phone in HI, I'd sit back, blast Siouxsie's Cities in Dust, amd watch the show
    Depends on what one considers hiding. I have legit seen a few "Fallout shelters" that left one feeling that perhaps it would be better to watch the blast up close because if that is what is going to protect you then a fast death might be better than a slow one.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Errybody thought I was crazy for stocking up on bobby pins and bottlecaps.

Well.....who's laughing now?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    I'm more a Tahiti guy myself...
    I am usually in Kaanapali or Princeville. So I guess I can watch the cloud.
    when I was young I worked at Sheraton doing the scuba

I have pics of the waves breaking over the top of Black Rock where the kids jump off durring the hurricane
    that was wild times on that beach

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Don't forget leather.
    I mean it has to have some use since all those people are wearing it in those post apocalyptic movies, right?
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    The problem with that idea is, and this has been the issue with the tsunami sirens, is that if you start popping false alarms, people stop taking them seriously.

That's the spirit!!!!

Depends on what one considers hiding. I have legit seen a few "Fallout shelters" that left one feeling that perhaps it would be better to watch the blast up close because if that is what is going to protect you then a fast death might be better than a slow one.
    for the tsunami besides high ground many resorts have other areas for mass to go to that are setup as shelters Oahu more of course the outer islands not so much

but like you grab a front row maybe ask the bartender for a free drink cause many of the public shelters are the resort basement

when the Hurricanes hit half the people were on the beach watching quite a few of us went out surfing
    only thing I did was throw the pool furniture into the pool so it would not get blown away and secure my dive gear and our beach shack got hammered and we lost everything non-dive snorkel related in it to water damage

funny thing about the warnings is after years and years you really do not even hear them often a tourist will ask what is that and you go OH just a warning and they always ask what if it was real ? and you reply no idea guess it would not go off and you are suposed to follow the signs and in my case being from Kahana I would have gone to the airport ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Don't forget sensor modules, 10mm, and RadAway...
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    Source couldn't be verified, deleted.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 01-13-18 at 23:36.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast