Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortest lightest can built exclusively for 7.62x39mm?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Shortest lightest can built exclusively for 7.62x39mm?

I've searched and I know about the Dead Air Wolverine PBS-ish can.

I'm also aware of the numerous titanium .308 rated cans and the Delta P Brevis...

I'm wondering what the shortest lightest can that was designed exclusively for 7.62x39 might be. Everything seems to be like well jsut put a .308 can on it. But that is un-necessary material weight and size.

The idea here is a CMMG mutant with a direct thread mounted perm attached can bringing the barrel up to 16" as sort of pseudo/quasi DMR.

TED

Feedback Score
    You might want to look at some hybrid cans what have 300blk supers and 9mm in mind.
    Griffin sportsman ultralight might fit the bill, or the omega 9k.

Edit optimus is heavy. The omega 9k or 45k is probably what you’re after.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-14-18 at 08:34.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    You might want to look at some hybrid cans what have 300blk supers and 9mm in mind.

I didn't realize the Omega 9K was rated supersonic 300blk. What barrel length is that certified for?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

WELL HOT DAM!! I did not know that it was supersonic .300 BLK rated. That just might work!!

THANKS!!

TED

Feedback Score
    Feom the manual:

The Omega 9K and Omega 45K are full auto rated on barrel lengths as short as 8 ̋ for .300 BLK supersonic and subsonic ammunition.
    I would call and ask about 7.62. I dont see an issue as its for 9mm and 300blk supers, so it should be fine, but i am not a silencer manufacturer.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-14-18 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    Be careful with those shorter cans, IMO they are little more than fancy flash hiders.
    I was looking at the Saker K and had an opportunity to hear a compact and a standard size can side by side and I defintley disappointed in the small can.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How short of a barrel are we talking here, 13.5-14" ?? Because any shorter your going to have to worry about unburnt powder ! And I wouldn't trust it to anything but a true 7.62 rifle can. I would look at the Saker 7.62 (heavy but built like a tank) and the Omega (very light)...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    But that is un-necessary material weight and size.

The idea here is a CMMG mutant with a direct thread mounted perm attached can bringing the barrel up to 16" as sort of pseudo/quasi DMR.
    If you're worried about weight, a CMMG Mutant (larger receivers, carrier and bolt) along with AK magazines is going to weigh more than a Windham 7.62x39 (regular AR15 receivers, bolt and carrier) along with RZE Unimags. Plus the Windham is more compact and offers better general parts availability. And yes, the Windham's run reliably.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin338 View Post
    How short of a barrel are we talking here, 13.5-14" ?? Because any shorter your going to have to worry about unburnt powder ! And I wouldn't trust it to anything but a true 7.62 rifle can. I would look at the Saker 7.62 (heavy but built like a tank) and the Omega (very light)...
    Good point. I reconsidered and decided on a 16" barrel in order to make use of the "regular" 7.62x39 BDC such as in the ACOG or ACSS scopes. Still you brought up something I had not thought of.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    If you're worried about weight, a CMMG Mutant (larger receivers, carrier and bolt) along with AK magazines is going to weigh more than a Windham 7.62x39 (regular AR15 receivers, bolt and carrier) along with RZE Unimags. Plus the Windham is more compact and offers better general parts availability. And yes, the Windham's run reliably.
    It HAS to be AK mags. It would be paired with an AK. Two different guns for two different purposes but one mag and ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast