Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Suppressed SBR is no longer reliable.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Before you went on the Unobtanium shopping spree, did you try some different ammo?
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have seen parts builds lead to all kinds of problems, even when reasonably "good" parts are used. Better off to just buy what you need to begin with imho. Best of luck and hope you can doctor this thing.

B
    "When the people fear their government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." – Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
    I have seen parts builds lead to all kinds of problems, even when reasonably "good" parts are used. Better off to just buy what you need to begin with imho. Best of luck and hope you can doctor this thing.

B
    That's constructive.

Feel free to exit this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have over a dozen AR's. Not one of them is a factory gun. All of them have been built and rebuilt by me. The highest round count is the SBR with almost 20K at this point. The only malfunctions were ammunition related.

If someone knows what they are doing, if one sources correct components/configurations then you will have a solid rifle.

B

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

B
    What about the factory built carbines that have all kinds of problems? We all know there are quality variations depending on manufacturer and make-up of components sourced and used, but even the most reputable and well respected AR manufacturers let's a lemon slip through QC every now and again. Personally, I have a complete faith in my ability to put together a "parts build", because I know I'm going to put in the time and effort and pay attention to detail, making sure certain components are torqued down to the right spec, and ensure quality parts are used throughout the process. Human error plays a factor in both factory built and so-called "hobby guns" (to use a Travis Haley term). I thought we evolved past this line of thinking.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This rifle is my 4th build (currently building my 5th). I have never put together a rifle that was not reliable, and religiously shoot federal xm193.

This rifle happens to be the first rifle i have decided to suppress, and SBR since i ditched illinois for arizona. Its a slight learning curve for me, but i wouldnt say any of my issues have anything to do with the rifle being garage built.

Pretty sure that if i purchased a Noveske built infidel rifle, and threw a suppressor on it id be in the exact same boat.

I can say that i am learning from all of this, and will be applying it to the current build as that gun will be a 10.3" suppressed gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grip View Post
    This rifle is my 4th build (currently building my 5th). I have never put together a rifle that was not reliable, and religiously shoot federal xm193.

This rifle happens to be the first rifle i have decided to suppress, and SBR since i ditched illinois for arizona. Its a slight learning curve for me, but i wouldnt say any of my issues have anything to do with the rifle being garage built.

Pretty sure that if i purchased a Noveske built infidel rifle, and threw a suppressor on it id be in the exact same boat.

I can say that i am learning from all of this, and will be applying it to the current build as that gun will be a 10.3" suppressed gun.
    The SLR rifle works gas block will solve your issue for sure. That is all almost always a necessity on any AR pattern rifle that is getting a can put on. Unless you are A lucky or B purchased a rifle that the gas port was sized to run suppressed from the get go.

I put one on on my .308 and it is nice. Lowered recoil drastically and I can tune for what ammo I will be using or leave it wide open to run everything or for extra reliability and recoil...hehe.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Really a correct sized gas port should run reliably with and without a can. I have a 18" Nordic barrel on my primary AR and as it is a barrel intended for 3 gun, has a very conservatively sized gas port. The manufacturer actually notes it was sized to avoid the need for an adjustable gas block for 3 gun rifle. As a byproduct it runs great and is not gassy with a can. The only downside is the without a can, it sometimes doesn't lock open if I run some Wolf.

I also agree this doesn't have anything to do with being a homebuild, and a homebuild with good parts is pretty darn good if all the pieces are matched...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    Really a correct sized gas port should run reliably with and without a can. I have a 18" Nordic barrel on my primary AR and as it is a barrel intended for 3 gun, has a very conservatively sized gas port. The manufacturer actually notes it was sized to avoid the need for an adjustable gas block for 3 gun rifle. As a byproduct it runs great and is not gassy with a can. The only downside is the without a can, it sometimes doesn't lock open if I run some Wolf.

I also agree this doesn't have anything to do with being a homebuild, and a homebuild with good parts is pretty darn good if all the pieces are matched...
    Yes you are right. A proper gas port "should" run suppressed or not without issue but plenty of factory guns run into this same issue once you slap on a suppressor.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Update: 11/16/2019.

Gun now exclusively shoots PMX XTAC 62gr 5.56 ammo suppressed or not. The LMT-e carrier is awesome, i now have 3 of them. The SLR adjustable gas block works as it should. I believe i had it dialed in within 2 trips to the range.

My setup now has just under 3,500 rounds through it while suppressed with no issues.

Today i decided to see what would happen shooting xm193 unsuppressed....blowing 1-2 primers per mag, short stroking (which i thought was weird).

At the end of today's range session i was pretty determined to buy a different barrel that has a proper gas port. But it runs perfect with 62gr, so ill just buy and shoot that in everything.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast