Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressed SBR is no longer reliable.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grip View Post
    My suppressed SBR is no longer reliable.

SilencerCo Saker 556
    13.7" Noveske barrel, mid length gas system
    Noveske gas block pinned (non adjustable)
    UCWRG BCG
    BCM extractor upgrade (just installed, unfired)
    H2 buffer
    SpringCo Blue spring

Using strictly Federal XM193 55gr 5.56

The gun runs flawlessly without the suppressor. With the suppressor i was getting failures to extract (reasoning for the BCM extractor upgrade), the rifle also would double feed forming the 2nd round it picked up into a taco by bending the case to the point it was unusable (this most likely was the extractor failing to do its job, and the carrier trying to feed a new round into the failure that had previously happened) this happens 2-3 times per magazine.

1-2 times in the last 400rnds fired while suppressed i have blown primers out of the case, the result was a locked up trigger, and a locked up bcg.

Id rather not change more than one thing at a time. My first change is the BCM extractor upgrade kit.

What else should i pickup before next weekend when i head out into the desert to spend some time getting this rifle to run reliably suppressed? I have read that the BCM A5 buffer system may be worth acquiring. I have also looked into the SLR .750 adjustable gas blocks, but i would prefer to keep my gas block pinned if possible.

I have started researching adjustable bolt carriers, but i am undecided on taking that path.

I have an H buffer, and a standard BCM mil-spec buffer/recoil spring so far to take out with me next time.

Thank you for any help or input.
    High back pressure can coupled with a very overgassed barrel. The shoulder of the port has worn radiused and gas flow increased. I gave up on making a noveske run suppressed. Were i to try, id go with an A5, sprinco green, heaviest buffer they make, and a phosphate milspec bcg to create more drag vs more polished and slick finishes. Or just dump it and get a properly gassed barrel. An example, my 14.5" middy has a 0.0735" port. Runs like a beast, can or not, and very clean.
    Last edited by WS6; 01-31-18 at 02:51.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee1000 View Post
    Just asking, I'm here to learn

If excessive gas is the root cause why wouldn't a adjustable gas block be the solution?
    Yes, it could be a the solution.

Correcting the gas drive makes a world of difference.

Not everyone wants to ditch a pinned FSB for a click adjustable gas block.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    High back pressure can coupled with a very overgassed barrel. The shoulder of the port has worn radiused and gas flow increased. I gave up on making a noveske run suppressed. Were i to try, id go with an A5, sprinco green, heaviest buffer they make, and a phosphate milspec bcg to create more drag vs more polished and slick finishes.

Or just dump it and get a properly gassed barrel. An example, my 14.5" middy has a 0.0735" port. Runs like a beast, can or not, and very clean.
    No need to add mass and friction when you can cut the gas instead.

The Noveske barrel can be fixed by installing a CustomTUNE gas port in the FSB.
    Last edited by Clint; 01-31-18 at 06:08.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Yes, it could be a the solution.

Correcting the gas drive makes a world of difference.

The Noveske barrel can be fixed by installing a CustomTUNE gas port in the FSB.
    How much of a PITA ($$) is that to have done or do? Would a new barrel be comparable, or not at all?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How much of a PITA ($$) is that to have done or do? Would a new barrel be comparable, or not at all?
    Installing a Custom Tune gas port is easy. Remove gas block. Tap the gas block gas hole. Install Custom Tune gas port. Reinstall gas block.

Cost for the kit is very reasonable.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-31-18 at 07:19.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Installing a Custom Tune gas port is easy. Remove gas block. Tap the gas block gas hole. Install Custom Tune gas port. Reinstall gas block.

Sounds like a winner!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

It might actually be even easier than your easy-as-pie description makes it sound. The CustomTune kit comes with a small thread tap included, right?
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    High back pressure can coupled with a very overgassed barrel. The shoulder of the port has worn radiused and gas flow increased. I gave up on making a noveske run suppressed. Were i to try, id go with an A5, sprinco green, heaviest buffer they make, and a phosphate milspec bcg to create more drag vs more polished and slick finishes. Or just dump it and get a properly gassed barrel. An example, my 14.5" middy has a 0.0735" port. Runs like a beast, can or not, and very clean.
    Which Noveske barrels have you tried? I previously had a Noveske 11.5 stainless steel barrel which I ran with an A5H2 + Green spring combo and that thing ran like a sewing machine, and no issues at all suppressed. Interesting to hear what other's experiences have been, but it's likely I never ran into any problems because I started out with an A5 from the jump.
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 01-31-18 at 08:24.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I originally wanted to keep a pinned gas block and try to tune the rest of the system as best I could.

I ordered an LMT-E carrier the other day. This morning I caved and ordered an SLR adjustable gas block and barrel dimpling fixture from them as well.

The A5 system seems like a good system, but I don't think it would solve anything for me.

now my rifle will be setup as follows:

13.7" Noveske barrel mid gas
    SLR adjustable GB
    LMT-E bolt carrier
    H3 car buffer
    Springco Blue spring
    Silencerco Saker 556

The above setup should be good. I will tune it with 62gr 5.56 ammo. The only thing I am not super happy about is the set screws holding the gas block on, but apparently a ton of people have used set screw gas blocks for thousands of rounds without issue.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grip View Post
    I originally wanted to keep a pinned gas block and try to tune the rest of the system as best I could.

I ordered an LMT-E carrier the other day. This morning I caved and ordered an SLR adjustable gas block and barrel dimpling fixture from them as well.

The A5 system seems like a good system, but I don't think it would solve anything for me.

now my rifle will be setup as follows:

13.7" Noveske barrel mid gas
    SLR adjustable GB
    LMT-E bolt carrier
    H3 car buffer
    Springco Blue spring
    Silencerco Saker 556

The above setup should be good. I will tune it with 62gr 5.56 ammo. The only thing I am not super happy about is the set screws holding the gas block on, but apparently a ton of people have used set screw gas blocks for thousands of rounds without issue.
    Another alternative you might consider is installing an ADIGS (if you decide to not dick around with replacing the GB). Any reason for forgoing the Custom Tune gas port as previously recommended?
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 01-31-18 at 10:56.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    Another alternative you might consider is installing an ADIGS (if you decide to not dick around with replacing the GB). Any reason for forgoing the Custom Tune gas port as previously recommended?
    I looked around on the website, tried to research that setup online with almost no results. I understand the concept, and may install a custom tune gas port in my noveske gas block in the future.

I know SLR is good, and im a sucker for well machined parts.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast