Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger ar 556 trigger upgrade question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Yeah, you're right. Just a trigger that will cost about 180-220.00 depending on deals, etc.. A little less than half of what the rifle is worth.
    So what? It's up to him to decide if it's worth it. It's not like he's going to use the trigger up. If he buys a better rifle he can still use it.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Advice is free. He and you can ignore it if it disrupts your life plans. I have seen enough of these Saturday Night Special rifles to know he should be concerned about more important issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    So what? It's up to him to decide if it's worth it. It's not like he's going to use the trigger up. If he buys a better rifle he can still use it.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    While it sounds like good advice not to invest too heavily in your Ruger, it's just a trigger. If you buy a better rifle in the future, you can easily transfer it to the new rifle.
    My thoughts exactly, and I don't quite understand what, makes it a pos ar on a budget like I am I can't just go out and buy a top of the line brand/model I just do the best I can. Is the lower a piece of $$$$ the upper or just what is it that makes it so bad that it can't be upgraded a little at a time to become a pretty decent rifle? As I stated from the beginning, I'm pretty new to ars 1st one but I have numerous firearms and have had for many years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I'll be a little less PC than IG.. Don't put a lot of $$$ in a pretty much POS rifle. You can throw money at with a FF middy upper, trigger and whatever else you want to do to it but it will be a Ruger frankengun. Enjoy it for what it is. Shoot the shit out of it and when it fails cut your losses and buy a quality rifle. Let me see if I can remember the old saying... You can't get blood out of a turnip. You have a turnip and are trying to buy blood. You can spend all you want but you will still have a turnip and no blood..
    Would you care to elaborate, as to what makes a rifle a Quality rifle and what makes mine such a POS rifle? I mean everyone, has different opinions on what's quality and what is not that's a very large can of worms that if opened, could create tons of disagreements on what's quality and what isn't.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get the trigger of your choice and go enjoy it. Become intimately familiar with it (weapon). It'll be just fine. While there's members here who'll forget more than I'll ever learn about the AR world, there appears to be social classes much like in society. They drive a Mercedes and have absolutely no idea how you survive life driving a Camry. Some are serious and can make a good argument and others are nothing more than internet intellectuals. It's your call on accepting / declining their help and comments.

And then there might be issues of "nudging" people to more expensive hardware for reasons of generating revenue. Firearm forums are an excellent source for vendors, dealers, and manufacturers to sell their products no matter how they choose to do so. It's one thing to give alternative, perhaps negative thoughts on a situation while trying to help someone but, it's quite another to buttstroke them in a condescending manner. Appreciate their knowledge and willingness to help, I for one certainly do, but don't take their crap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Get the trigger of your choice and go enjoy it. Become intimately familiar with it (weapon). It'll be just fine. While there's members here who'll forget more than I'll ever learn about the AR world, there appears to be social classes much like in society. They drive a Mercedes and have absolutely no idea how you survive life driving a Camry. Some are serious and can make a good argument and others are nothing more than internet intellectuals. It's your call on accepting / declining their help and comments.

And then there might be issues of "nudging" people to more expensive hardware for reasons of generating revenue. Firearm forums are an excellent source for vendors, dealers, and manufacturers to sell their products no matter how they choose to do so. It's one thing to give alternative, perhaps negative thoughts on a situation while trying to help someone but, it's quite another to buttstroke them in a condescending manner. Appreciate their knowledge and willingness to help, I for one certainly do, but don't take their crap.
    I totally agree, about taking crap too! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Yes.

IMO, ammo is too expensive to use a trigger that isn't what you want regardless of the rifle.

I recently picked up a LaRue MBT for the wife's AR. $99. I doubt you'd appreciate much difference between it and the SSA.
    I was suggested that trigger on another forum, had I had the cash I probably would have jumped on it I've seen great reviews on the LaRue but, I had already ordered the Geissele trigger on a 6-pay plan. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    First, I apologize if I came off as condescending or worse. I am not an industry professional, I am just a stubborn guy who spent a good bit of hard earned money trying to make a "silk purse out of a pigs ear" myself.

The trigger you bought should install without issue. I replaced an Anderson lower that was a little "wonky" with a stripped Ruger 556 lower and all parts installed fine.

I am cheap and don't think that every rifle needs a $200 trigger, but the trigger you picked is high quality and is not wedded to your carbine, you can move it to another rifle down the road if you want.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    First, I apologize if I came off as condescending or worse. I am not an industry professional, I am just a stubborn guy who spent a good bit of hard earned money trying to make a "silk purse out of a pigs ear" myself.

The trigger you bought should install without issue. I replaced an Anderson lower that was a little "wonky" with a stripped Ruger 556 lower and all parts installed fine.

I am cheap and don't think that every rifle needs a $200 trigger, but the trigger you picked is high quality and is not wedded to your carbine, you can move it to another rifle down the road if you want.

Andy
    No apology needed, have a good day!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Advice is free. He and you can ignore it if it disrupts your life plans. I have seen enough of these Saturday Night Special rifles to know he should be concerned about more important issues.
    Can't help 'em all IG, at least you tried.

If you want to know why your Ruger is easily regarded as a POS and dumping 200$ into a single trigger just seems... Foolish; use the search button and review some of threads out there about them.

But, hey, if you wanna dump 220$ into a 440$ rifle, no one around here will stop you. But don't act like you didn't ask for input while you don't get the answers you would have preferred.

The litmus around here is, pretty much, a LE6920. A Ruger is significantly more likely to fail out on you. It has a lower materials threshold, the QC is garbage, it is over gassed.

The gun will serve it's purpose, as a trainer. Shoot it, and run it hard. Learn the choppier trigger with a few thousand rounds so you can truly appreciate a good trigger when you drop it into a much higher end rifle.

Spend your money as you see fit, but this community is akin to "Buy once, instead of cry a bunch."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast