Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bolt unlock timing

Feedback Score

bolt unlock timing

Howdy. First post here. Guess I'll apologize in advance for stupid questions and annoying comments to come. Note I've been shooting for 46 or 8 years (have even done some long range), but have only played AR for 2. Have a weak mind trying to understand a not necessarily simple platform. Anyway:

Ass I've been reading here about gassing issues/cures and general weapon function, I get to wondering:

Would anyone be willing to specifically describe differences in effect (if any) on bolt unlock timing by gas flow control (adj block) vs heavier spring/weight cures? Maybe even relate this to any potential effects on accuracy?

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In the simplest terms, the lesser the gas flow, the longer it takes to pressurize the expansion chamber in the carrier enough to start it moving. However, as it's residual pressure (pressure in the system after the bullet exits the barrel) the gas has to pressurize the expansion chamber before the pressure drops too far.

If the gas pressurizes the expansion chamber too quickly, the carrier gets moving too soon and unlocks the bolt too early. Gas flow (along with reciprocating mass and spring rate) is a balancing act.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Thanks MW. So, my 16 in, 8 twst, mid lngth Wilson Combat in BCM upper is throwing 2-230 with SpCo blue and H3. If I choose to further tame and fantasize accuracy, I MIGHT be better off with an adj gas block (and lighter spring/buffer) than a heavier spring?

If so or I just want to go adj block, what spring and buffer should I tune to?

It's running fine on chump ammo. Plan to feed it better, soon.... Sorry, for a dummy like me, it's as much about the journey....

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    And to add to what MistWolf said.. The more respected brands here are over gassed for a reason. Dependability with most ammunition under all conditions. The additional wear due to over gassing is insignificant if you factor in the cost of the ammunition it will take to wear something out. In my opinion there are people regulating gas volume that see benefits from doing it but for the average Joe with a quality rifle the juice isn't worth the squeeze. The exception would be those running suppressors.

Feedback Score
    Yup, a gun savvy friend has just about convinced me, "Get it running acceptably, shoot it, replace parts, repeat."

On my orig upper, I was 3 engraved cam pins (they prob each could have gone longer), an ejector(was it just the spring?), and gas rings (actually wouldn't support bolt weight) by 2000 rounds (here I added adj block). All in all, these parts were cheep/easy to replace. Gun running well.

But being the type who checks boxes just for peace of mind, I'd be willing to spend the $130 for a block, beat the forend off/back on, and tune.... if it stood a reasonable chance of getting me another 1/4 min accuracy out of this upper.

Guess I oughta shut up, work up some loads and see what I have, butt...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I fail to see how adjusting gas flow will improve accuracy.

Feedback Score
    Not having a clue, I was wondering if premature unlock and any associated leakage with bullet maybe still under influence of pressures in barrel would be detrimental. Also, just for kicks and giggles, I simply wondered what effect the oft discussed "heaviest buffer your rifle will run" would have on timing of unlock. In over my head. Oops.

In retrospect, maybe I should quit trying to understand things beyond my comprehension and shudda just asked, "If one were to install an adjustable gas block on a 16 inch 8 twist middie, what spring and buffer would be good to start with?"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Not having a clue, I was wondering if premature unlock and any associated leakage with bullet maybe still under influence of pressures in barrel would be detrimental. Also, just for kicks and giggles, I simply wondered what effect the oft discussed "heaviest buffer your rifle will run" would have on timing of unlock. In over my head. Oops.

In retrospect, maybe I should quit trying to understand things beyond my comprehension and shudda just asked, "If one were to install an adjustable gas block on a 16 inch 8 twist middie, what spring and buffer would be good to start with?"
    Most any combination can be made to run for the conditions of the day.

The best combinations have the widest range of reliability.

An H2 buffer with mill spec spring or extra power spring is a very good starting point.

Gas drive can be adjusted from there to obtain good function.
    Last edited by Clint; 01-18-18 at 07:23.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    If...I just want to go adj block, what spring and buffer should I tune to?
    From another thread-
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    ...I drove out to the desert with my two shorties and different buffers. Testing with the SLR equipped suppressed 11.5" upper showed that the Carbine, H and H2 buffer all ran on the same setting. However, recoil was a tick sharper and felt quicker with the Carbine buffer. Of the three, the H2 felt the softest and slowest.

Next, the SLR upper was tried on the lower with the A5H2 buffer and green spring, it felt even softer than the H2 and almost too slow, until shots were fired rapidly. The combination with the flattest recoil was the SLR upper and A5H2. Next flattest was the same upper with the H2.

The SLR upper was tuned using the lock back check. It was tuned until the round would eject, but not lock back. Opening the gas port one more click resulted in full ejection and lock back. On this day, the SLR gave full function on the same setting with all four buffer types.

The second upper tested is a suppressed 11.5" Colt 6933. It comes from the factory with a gas port that measures about .073". Unsuppressed, it worked fine but felt a little over gassed. With the addition of a suppressor, recoil became uncomfortably sharp. I bought a BRT Micro Port kit. Based on the specs of the AR (11.5" barrel, carbine gas system, A5H2 buffer, shot suppressed only) BRT sent the kit with a .063" micro port. Recoil isn't as soft as the SLR upper but I have no doubt the Micro Ported Colt upper will work even when cold and heavily fouled. When the SLR upper was tried with the H2 buffer, recoil was noticeably sharper.

I didn't collect the brass to see if there was a noticeable reduction in fouling. The grass where I stopped to shoot was 3 - 4 inches thick and made finding the empties challenging.

That the SLR upper fully functioned with all four buffer weights leads me to believe that while the proper buffer weight is important, having the right gas drive is more so.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-15-18 at 20:05.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Wonder was slr originally tuned to carbine or h2? Semi parallel experience: I have one carbine gassed 16in upper tuned to an h with slight extra insurance opening to insure function that locks back fine on h2....
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 01-17-18 at 08:27.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast