Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bolt unlock timing

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Maybe even relate this to any potential effects on accuracy?
    See: http://apdmarksmanshipteam.org/blog/...15-gas-system/
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    Wonder was slr originally tuned to carbine or h2? Semi parallel experience: I have one carbine gassed 16in upper tuned to an h with slight extra insurance opening to insure function that locks back fine on h2....
    The SLR upper was originally tuned with the H buffer. It did not matter if the carbine, H or H2 buffer was used, the SLR upper required the same setting to lock back on the last shot.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Apd article sums things up cleanly. First couple of comments afterward interesting as well. Thanks to all for responses.

Sounds like other than reducing gas to stop extractors from ripping off case rims and prematurely destroying c pins, or other extreme overgas function issues we are mostly tuning for recoil comfort and or sight re-acquisition on follow up shots?
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 01-17-18 at 17:08.

Feedback Score
    I think it comes down to the harmonics induced to the rifle if the BCG is moving too soon vs unlocking at an optimal moment. So much is just theoretical in this sort of discussion. I believe from observation that it is beneficial to have a tuned rifle. How one gets to that point is of course the meat of it all.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Back to the OP's accuracy question.. With an adjustable gas block wide open on a rifle with a light buffer and spring. Worst case scenario.. Right? Shoot a 10 round group. Close the gas block and shoot another 10 round group cycling manually. Throw out the worst 5 shots on each target and measure the 5 remaining. Is there any noticeable difference in the 2 groups? I don't see how there could be. The relationship between the bolt, extension and case doesn't change until the bullet clears the port. Could the residual pressure behind the bullet before it clears the muzzle effect accuracy or Is the bullet long gone before the bolt unlocks? I better shut up. I am making my own head hurt!!

Feedback Score
    Apologies GH. You sound like a guy who is stuck werking with me (but he needs it).

Was gonna load some and see how current setup performs, but discovered 223 dies rusted to pits. Aaaagh! It snowed an inch here and all the chickens closed the reloading die stores. Aaaagh....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12