Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I Need A Second AR?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I'm related to people from that part of the world. To this day there are still holdouts and they still use stuff left over from the war.

It's unfortunate for the actual people but a testament to how long these rifles can last.
    And the will that some people have.
    Have you read No Surrender?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E3...azL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Indeed I have.
    He was able to keep one rifle going for 30 years living off the land.

One gun can last a super long time with just basic preventive maintenance.

I never fully bought into the "2 is 1" spiel. I would hate to be told how many things I can and cannot own, but one well made rifle can last a long, long time.

You only have one pair of hands.

Like lessay I lived in a restrictive area where I was only "allowed" one AR. I'd probably get a 20" A4 and have a healthy bolt action collection.

There likely will be another run on guns the next time some crazy person acts up or there's another election; but I really only shoot one personal AR15 when I get the opportunity and it is gonna be 15 years old this year and will see a rebarrel soon.

In another 15 years, I will be well into my 50s and honestly wont care about running and gunning. Probably off a bench or on a mat with a flop hat. Any of my glory days shooting was done with someone else's guns that had been quite used before I got to it and still worked fine.

Guns, like it or not, are a crappy investment. You are gambling for profit predicated on legislation that may never come and enough people already been stockpiling.

Like those Star Wars toys. The originals had value because kids didnt mind ripping open a package and playing with their stuff. So it had collector value. Then these guys got older and hoarded Prequel toys which arent worth squat and now even actual kids dont care about SW toys. Same with comics.

Enough people still have AWB PTSD that they think they need to gun hoard for fun and profit; and I was guilty of that as well esp. in 2008 but now I tell folks to get what you want. But really one AR15 can last a lifetime but as was stated, it's easier and cheaper now and probably wont be easier or cheaper again.

I'm of that mindset where the older I get the less I feel like I "need".

Feedback Score
    Why wouldn’t you grab a couple more....

Feedback Score
    2-3k rounds in 4 years, the desire for an all around rifle, already own a 6920... I'd say you are set with the rifle you have given that frequency of use. Buy some back-up parts for the Colt and spend your money on another project. If you want to take advantage of the soft AR market buy a couple stripped lowers and ammo.

Feedback Score
    Possible reasons for building or otherwise acquiring an additional AR15...

- You currently only have one. (The Horror!)
    - The AR15 market is about as ripe now as it will likely ever be. (The Buy It Cheap & Stack It Deep reason)
    - It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it. (The Common Sense reason)
    - Despite the opinion of others, having an additional new-in-box AR15 can still become an investment down the road. Just look at all the cheap off-brand "pre-ban" lowers that are now selling for top dollar to various ban locations.(The, "Gimme All Teh Monies!" reason)
    - The "2-is-1-&-1-is-none" theory (otherwise known as having back-ups for your back-ups) in regards to firearms is just as sound today as anytime in the past. God-forbid your original AR ever goes down due to malfunction (or confiscation, loss, or theft) - Having an additional AR15 hidden away or otherwise alternately located may not only be prudent but practical under such instances. (The "Gunz MFer, GUNS!! reason)
    - While AR15s can be had in many different sizes & calibers, no single AR15 can do "everything" as the saying goes. It therefore may be useful to have an additional AR15 of distinctly different attributes than your original weapon (Barrel length/type/caliber, ect.)(The multi-tasker reason)

Reasons for NOT building or otherwise acquiring an additional AR15...

- You're too poor for even today's market & thus should potentially consider going & being poor someplace else. (just/kidding - Go get yourself a better or additional job! )
    - You don't have the means to properly secure &/or maintain additional weapons. (Buy a bigger, or alternate, safe - or maybe get the gumption to finally build that bugout-shelter /arms-room you know you've always wanted)
    - You're nanny state won't allow you to be all that you can be. (either move out of your nanny state; become politically assertive in said nanny state; or go back to your food-stamp collecting hobby.)
    - You've recently become a licensed/state-certified pot-smoker & thus can no longer legally (on the federal level) own or acquire any firearms. (Just say NO to drugs, M'Kay?)
    - & lastly, If none of the above apply to you, then there likely isn't any real reason why you shouldn't go build, or otherwise acquire, an additional AR15.

Mike (MA2_Navy_Veteran)
    ,——'¯¯';=====±—-
    !‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶
    One is just never enough...

Feedback Score
    I'd say yes, definitely consider buying a 2nd AR. I like my AR's set-up with several of the same components, for example a Geissele trigger and Vltor EMOD buttstock. If you use irons or a red dot sight on your 1st AR, the 2nd AR could have a quality scope, the type of scope depending of course on the purpose of the rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    We are in the golden window for ammo and firearms purchases. I would want at least a 2nd and maybe a 3rd before the shit gets real again.

That we most certainly are. Incredible prices and supply right now. Don't miss out, these ARE the golden days

And maybe they will continue, but unlikely, things tend to be cyclical

Feedback Score
    In another 15 years, I will be well into my 50s and honestly wont care about running and gunning. Probably off a bench or on a mat with a flop hat. Any of my glory days shooting was done with someone else's guns that had been quite used before I got to it and still worked fine.

Guns, like it or not, are a crappy investment. You are gambling for profit predicated on legislation that may never come and enough people already been stockpiling.

I'm of that mindset where the older I get the less I feel like I "need".
    Well... I hit 50 a few years ago and "kind-of" agree. As much as I'd still like to run with the real operators, I am just a shell of what I once was when I was kicking in doors on SWAT years ago... BUT IT'S STILL DARN FUN TO TRY!!!

No, I'm not doing one MOA headshots on paper at 200 yards anymore, but I'll still hit the SOB somewhere most of the time. I'm not going back into law enforcement, so it's a just a hobby now and will be until my eyes give out and I can't hit anything anymore. I simply have spare parts in case something breaks someday, and replacement parts have become unavailable for some reason.

I plan to enjoy the hobby as long as I can. Once I hit 80+/- I'll donate everything and just have one 9mm in case someone breaks in and tries to steal my diapers. Heck, maybe they can have the soiled ones... It Depends.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Well... I hit 50 a few years ago and "kind-of" agree. As much as I'd still like to run with the real operators, I am just a shell of what I once was when I was kicking in doors on SWAT years ago... BUT IT'S STILL DARN FUN TO TRY!!!

No, I'm not doing one MOA headshots on paper at 200 yards anymore, but I'll still hit the SOB somewhere most of the time. I'm not going back into law enforcement, so it's a just a hobby now and will be until my eyes give out and I can't hit anything anymore. I simply have spare parts in case something breaks someday, and replacement parts have become unavailable for some reason.

I plan to enjoy the hobby as long as I can. Once I hit 80+/- I'll donate everything and just have one 9mm in case someone breaks in and tries to steal my diapers. Heck, maybe they can have the soiled ones... It Depends.
    You understand.

I have long said that if I dont get married/acquire a baby momma when I hit 55 then BOLO on the EE for my KAC/ Evil gun stuff.

All I really need at that point is a Chevy Van, a shag carpet, a S&W Model 639, a 4" 686, a 30-06 bolt action and maaaybe a 1300 or a Lever action and I'm gonna go live on a beach somewhere and be like a hippie only lazier.

I only need 6 shots at 50 yards or one really good shot at 200.

As for diapers, whatever Ensures my safety, ya know?

Feedback Score
    HEY Det-Sog & Firefly,...

... Depends...... Ensure..... NO Matter what, it does sound pretty CRAPPIE!

And Firefly, I've Been there done that with My CHEVY VAN for ALOT of Years! LOL... There was ONLY 2 things I WISH that Sweet Old G-10 had,
    #1> a Bigger Engine... &
    #2> 4 Wheel Drive.

Peace Jeff

You understand.

I have long said that if I dont get married/acquire a baby momma when I hit 55 then BOLO on the EE for my KAC/ Evil gun stuff.

All I really need at that point is a Chevy Van, a shag carpet, a S&W Model 639, a 4" 686, a 30-06 bolt action and maaaybe a 1300 or a Lever action and I'm gonna go live on a beach somewhere and be like a hippie only lazier.

I only need 6 shots at 50 yards or one really good shot at 200.

As for diapers, whatever Ensures my safety, ya know?
    Last edited by RVTMaverick; 01-19-18 at 06:56.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast