Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I Need A Second AR?

Feedback Score

Do I Need A Second AR?

I'm looking for some thoughts on what I should do.

I have various pistols, shotguns, and rifles. I currently only have one AR15 rifle. It is a Colt LE6920 with the Magpul furniture. It has performed flawlessly during the 2,000-3,000 rounds I have put through it over a 4 year period. I have the itch to get a another firearm and the AR itch has risen. Honestly, there is no practical reason to do so, but a milestone in my life will occur this year and I would like to ""reward" myself with a new AR. I'm just a hobbyist that likes to shoot. I don't shoot as much as I like. Many with laugh at 2,000-3,000 rounds over a 4 year period and will suggest spending the money on ammo and classes. I have no formal military or law enforcement training. Nothing I shoot shoots back at me, but I would like a rifle that can do it all and be well rounded for plinking, a carbine class, HD, and a SHTF scenario.

What would be a noticeable step up in quality from my current Colt LE6920?

Feel free to share your thoughts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Two is always better than one. As far as a step up from the Colt, there is a multitude of choices. It all depends on what you are willing to spend on a factory AR or spend on a build.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Forgoing the training and mo ammo stuff, since I think you kind of addressed that already. What kind of rifle are you looking for OP? Or are you looking for brand advice? If the latter, I'd be checking out a complete rifle from BCM, LMT, Sionics, SOLGW. There are a few others I am sure. There is always ordering a complete BCM lower from Grant, getting the trigger, RE, ect that you want set up and slapping on the upper of your choice as well, which given a large budget would be my choice, get myself a nicer trigger and an A5 buffer system for example.

There is always the NFA plunge as well if you are looking for a milestone item.

Short answer, if you have the money there is no one here who is likely to stop you from buying another rifle as long as it has some purpose. Yes, shooting more is nice, but I think you have alluded to the time issue. If pride of ownership is there, I'd be looking at one of the companies I listed, and perhaps a couple others that will float in. My biggest question would be what kind of rifle set up are you wanting.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    The short answer is "Yes"

The long answer is to pick out a role for what you wold like in a a second AR. Do you want a HD rifle? A long distance rifle? An SBR? Suppressed?

Pick the role you want the rifle to fill and that will help to narrow the field quite a bit.

For my second rifle, I wanted something I could teach my wife to shoot with. Something that she could use from 25-100 yards, lightweight, easy to handle and fun. Ended up with a lightweight mid-length barrel, and a simple Vortex 1-4 optic. Very simple,. but it fills the role I laid out for it.
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    We are in the golden window for ammo and firearms purchases. I would want at least a 2nd and maybe a 3rd before the shit gets real again.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    After a good 16’ like you have, the next logical choice to me is either a longer range precision or a shot barreled SBR, preferably with a suppressor. Or better yet both. Having several of each types, the SBR w/can is the one I enjpy shooting most. But I have old eyes. I can understand a young stud golng for the long range gongs.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    If you want to stet up, maybe get a Noveske or a KAC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    We are in the golden window for ammo and firearms purchases. I would want at least a 2nd and maybe a 3rd before the shit gets real again.
    This is so true. A few years ago, even a S&W M&P15 Sport II at $500 was unthinkable, today you can find them on sale for around $420 - $450, everything else besides the heigh end AR15s are similarly sliding down the price scale. On black friday, I've seen the Sport II go for $350. Better start hoarding 22lr, 9mm, 45 acp, and 223/5.56 ammo before the next democrat runs for office again.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    If you want to stet up, maybe get a Noveske or a KAC.
    From the EE: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ke-N6-308-AR10

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Another “yes” from me. I think IQ is correct, 100%.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast