Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I Need A Second AR?

Feedback Score
    Well hell yes. I'm surprised you haven't already as I would think most people would buy an AR then realize what they want out of an AR. You already have a "go to" AR so make this one a splurge rifle or build. Think of the perfect AR setup that would work for you and build/buy that thing. You'll be happy with yourself.

Look into LMT, La Rue, HK, KAC, LWRCI, PWS, ...... So many options.

You could go the .308 route as well.
    K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)
    KAC SR-15 IWS Tan
    KAC SR-25 EMC
    LWRC M6 IC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do it. Aside from a "nicer", not necessarily better, trigger, I can't see a significant improvement over what you have. I'm sure there are better parts available on an individual basis, but when you put them all together, so what? Are you competing for prize money, are you planning for something that a Colt can't handle? Now if you want to buy the parts and assemble a new rifle, that's cool. Damn sure doesn't mean it'll be any better in your world. Admittedly, you hardly even shoot. By all means get what you desire but don't base it on better. Better is extremely subjective depending on precise circumstances. Since you have the Colt and you state "........ plinking, a carbine class, HD, and a SHTF scenario" as your desired all-in-one capable firearm, get your mandatory government tax stamp and go SBR. Seriously. That will meet all your needs. Range time and quality training are always a good choice. Do it. Post pics one of these days.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Do you need a second AR? Does a bear poop in the woods? If anything you need 3 or 4, because our freedoms to bare arms are under constant threat. Right now is a great time to buy due to the current saturation in the market place. I don't expect these prices to last very long so I wouldn't hesitate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
    I'm looking for some thoughts on what I should do.

I have various pistols, shotguns, and rifles. I currently only have one AR15 rifle. It is a Colt LE6920 with the Magpul furniture. It has performed flawlessly during the 2,000-3,000 rounds I have put through it over a 4 year period. I have the itch to get a another firearm and the AR itch has risen. Honestly, there is no practical reason to do so, but a milestone in my life will occur this year and I would like to ""reward" myself with a new AR. I'm just a hobbyist that likes to shoot. I don't shoot as much as I like. Many with laugh at 2,000-3,000 rounds over a 4 year period and will suggest spending the money on ammo and classes. I have no formal military or law enforcement training. Nothing I shoot shoots back at me, but I would like a rifle that can do it all and be well rounded for plinking, a carbine class, HD, and a SHTF scenario.

What would be a noticeable step up in quality from my current Colt LE6920?

Feel free to share your thoughts.
    We also need to know how much you're willing to spend.

Feedback Score
    If you're having difficulty justifying in yer head a second AR for yourself, get one for the wife or the grandkid you'll have some day.

I had fun with choosing one for the wife. The criteria was light weight. Pencil barrel mid-length. Light weight handguard, Trijicon RMR and a LaRue MBT. To take the snap out of this light weight I put a Lantac brake on it. Wife actually likes it...

Feedback Score
    I am going to suggest a different approach...
    The OP left out important details- do you have a good sling, weapon light, and RDS? If not, take care of those things first. Then purchase a 2nd LE6920, and equip it similarly. Want something different? Substitute a 1-4 or 1-6 optic in place of the RDS. Want to splurge? Buy a suppressor, set up a trust. In any event, go buy another 2,000-3,000 rounds while the buying is good.
    Who am I? Just a guy like you, except I have multiple AR's, each different from the other. I am (slowly) learning to follow my own advise...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Honestly?

No. You don't "need" it. There are Hmong in the hills with souvenired M16s from the 60s that still work.

But there is no better time to get one extra if you want one.

I think if I were told I could only have two ARs for the rest of my life one would be a 6920 and the other a 20" A2.

An A2 20" because you can shoot CMP matches with one and its a good honest rifle.

A 6920 because you can either keep it stock or put on a long rail and a LPVO and it is a good 80% gun.

All the serious (like super serious) shooters I know pretty much say they are content with their one and only.

What I would do if I were 22 again is collect Uppers.

A stock M4 upper for irons only carbine work and a G rail upper with optic for pretty much anything else you can think of like HD/3gun/whatever.

I dont regret what I have but really I feel like I only need two lowers and just whatever upper for what I want to do.

That's just me and offering a different perspective but at the very least a second complete lower would not be a bad investment until you decide how far you want to go.

Some folks only want one gun and put in serious shooting each week and other folks have safes/vaults full of decked out ARs they've never shot
    Wake the f*ck up, Samurai

Feedback Score
    Neckbeard a dozen lowers now. Then take your sweet time planning and building them out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMontana View Post
    Neckbeard a dozen lowers now. Then take your sweet time planning and building them out.
    First time I've heard neckbeard used as a verb. Well done

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    We are in the golden window for ammo and firearms purchases. I would want at least a 2nd and maybe a 3rd before the shit gets real again.
    This. A second rifle in case the first goes down in shtf or even just in case yours goes down and you want something else while waiting on parts in normal life is a good idea.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast