• Vortex Viper 1-4

0 0%
  • Trijicon Acog TA31-RCO

0 0%

Thread: Optic Choice for daily carbine.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

Optic Choice for daily carbine.

I have a 10.5 inch "pistol" that I keep secured in my car at all a times. Currently I have a Trijicon MRO Patrol mounted on it but I have been considering other glass choices.

I feel like if this weapon was ever needed it would probably be up close within 50 yards. However at the same time I like the idea of being able to do whatever I need with it.

So what would you all suggest?

I have all the optics in question and that is why these specific options.
    Last edited by kwelz; 01-16-18 at 07:49.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    Tool in the tool box.
    I run non-magnified optics (Aimpoint micros) on my weapons designed for potentially "short" engagement distances (to 100m) due to target identification restraints for me. If I want further distances I prefer glass with magnification. Illumination plays a part in this as well.
    In reality, there are many other things to consider before I deploy my primary to engage some asshat on the street.
    LPO have come a LONG way and as I understand, newer and sleeker options will be shown @ SHOT.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    In real life, it doesn't matter you'll probably never use it so the MRO is fine (and really why would you be shooting someone at distances requiring magnification?). Worry more about what's on your belt than what's (hopefully) securely stored in your vehicle.
    Last edited by Sry0fcr; 01-16-18 at 09:01.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    In real life, it doesn't matter you'll probably never use it so the MRO is fine (and really why would you be shooting someone at distances requiring magnification?). Worry more about what's on your belt than what's (hopefully) securely stored in your vehicle.
    A very good point. I am squared away there. Flashlight. 2 knives. An extra mag. M&p compact that I train with regularly.

I agree the chances of ever needing it are slim. But why leave anything to chance.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    A very good point. I am squared away there. Flashlight. 2 knives. An extra mag. M&p compact that I train with regularly.

I agree the chances of ever needing it are slim. But why leave anything to chance.
    Agreed. Chances are the MRO or an Aimpoint would be more than good enough for more likelihoods. That said, target ID is getting more and more traction more so if we are dealing with CONUS type things, if you are respond to things going sideways, being able to reach out a bit further would be nice. That said, while I am putting together a pistol for a similar purpose, I will admit that grabbing the truck gun can be a bit on the fantasy side of things. That said, if we are looking at minuscule chances a 1-4x scope has merits in my opinion.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would go Micro.

But mainly to keep it a tight sized, small secure package.

The MRO is a bit bulkier, but would suffice just as well with it.

Either way, plan for engagements within 100m or so.

The bonus of the LPVO would be no batteries required. Each has it's ups and downs.

Feedback Score
    To the OP, you need to look at your most likely conditions if you had to use (on the very rare chance) to use your AR. You need to look at the terrain and development of the immediate area. For myself, I live in an outer suburb to a major city in the Southeast, I own a little more than an acre, and my house sits in the center of my property with about 50M to the road and 50M to a wooded area behind me. Even if you include my immediate neighbors property to my left and right, I only have maybe 100M-125M line of sight in my immediate AO. So given this a red dot makes the most sense.

From the information you provided I would keep the MRO.

Feedback Score
    For your uses, if you're far enough that you need a LPVO to PID something, you're probably far enough from the potential "threat" to drive out of the area, too. I keep a RDS on my social gun with a EOTech 3x mag.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com