Thread: NV vs thermal

Feedback Score

NV vs thermal

Looking for a predator setup. Im thinking either a $5-$6000 thermal scope(and want ti post this before disecting the current market), or a pvs 30 (in front if a 1-4 or 2.5-10x) and a $1000-$1500 handheld thermal.

My main area will have yotes inside the woodline and im thinking it may be difficult to see them, even with NV when they are against the woodline. But i dont have expeience with either yet, ither than gen1 stuff.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-16-18 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Thanks, not ready yet, good price though. Waiting for bonus in july to make purchase.

Also considering D740

Feedback Score

NV vs thermal

For me, I like a combination of both. Helmet mounted NOD, that can quickly attach behind a red dot with dbal and ir illuminator. And a flir T50 on one of the guns. Helmet mount for hiking, walking etc. Otherwise your tempted to use white lite to navigate etc.
    Last edited by user; 01-16-18 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I also like a combination of both. However, not everyone's budget allows for that.

Based upon your terrain in the woodline, if it's not heavy, thick brush and just hardwoods with decent openings I'd go for thermal. If you have extremely heavy, thick brush, thermal might not help you out as much as you'd think.

Research more, possibly even rent some units to test in your terrain to determine what works best for you. There are certain atmospheric and weather related conditions that can pose some challenges for thermal detection as well.