Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust your LIFE to this? (Bar-Sto barrel complaint)

Feedback Score
    For comparison, a KKM barrel which i am 100% satisfied with. It looks like shit too.

And just to keep the theme:
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-17-18 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Your KKM has Nowhere near as much chatter and kerf as the Barsto pics shown by the OP. Plus yours is dirty. Post a clean pic?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks, I would not buy a barrel from either one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    Who do you buy your aftermarket glock barrels from and why?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    Your KKM has Nowhere near as much chatter and kerf as the Barsto pics shown by the OP. Plus yours is dirty. Post a clean pic?
    The point is its not “perfect”, there are clearly tooling marks, rough edges, and it shoots great. Compared to the stock barrel, it looks worse but performs better. IMO OP should give the barrel a shooting chance. Just offering my opinion on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    And thats okay. But both companies are, as far as i know, 2 of the best pistol barrel manufactures out there.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-17-18 at 20:57.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Personally, I would want to exchange the boogered machined barrel for one that had better machining. I was a machinist who ran manual lathes and mills and CNC lathes and mills pretty much my whole life. The boogered barrel could shoot lights out and its only a recoil spring assembly cut on the barrel, but I just want things to be as right as possible for the money I am paying. Someone else may not care about it, and thats okay, but I would like a choice.
    Last edited by Biggy; 01-17-18 at 23:51.

Feedback Score
    This is the only real thing in the thread. If you haven't mounted it, shot it, etc., then what is the big problem? Do you not have a file or some fine grit sandpaper to take down a single bur? Which bur, by the way, is not on a portion of the barrel that has any mechanical interface whatever.

There are exactly two exterior surfaces that matter on these barrels: the camming surfaces that interface with the locking block, and the breech face. Beyond that, the notch cut out on the front face of the barrel hood is only to loosely hold the rear of the recoil spring, which is actually kept in place at by the slide. Only if the barrel hood or block were out of spec as a result of a bur and would not interface with the slide, then (then!) you'd have a problem. But, you don't. Or, maybe you do. You don't know, because you haven't shot it yet.

The critical surfaces of your barrel look like they are in great shape, and a quick pass with a file (which, by the way, you'll probably need to hand fit this barrel anyway), and you're cooking with gas. Good luck putting up groups as good as GTF425's, though.

If you're pissed off that you thought you were buying a fully finished and immaculately manicured dressage horse and what you got was a barely broken in thoroughbred, then fine. Be pissed about it. For $270, maybe you're entitled to having it look the way you want it to look. Personally, I would be more concerned with the groups that I could get out of the barrel than how it looks sitting on my desk. Call me crazy.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 01-18-18 at 03:56. Reason: grammar / usage / spelling

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    This is the only real thing in the thread. If you haven't mounted it, shot it, etc., then what is the big problem? Do you not have a file or some fine grit sandpaper to take down a single bur? Which bur, by the way, is not on a portion of the barrel that has any mechanical interface whatever.

There are exactly two exterior surfaces that matter on these barrels: the camming surfaces that interface with the locking block, and the breech face. Beyond that, the notch cut out on the front face of the barrel hood is only to loosely hold the rear of the recoil spring, which is actually kept in place at by the slide. Only if the barrel hood or block were out of spec as a result of a bur and would not interface with the slide, then (then!) you'd have a problem. But, you don't. Or, maybe you do. You don't know, because you haven't shot it yet.

The critical surfaces of your barrel look like they are in great shape, and a quick pass with a file (which, by the way, you'll probably need to hand fit this barrel anyway), and you're cooking with gas. Good luck putting up groups as good as GTF425's, though.

If you're pissed off that you thought you were buying a fully finished and immaculately manicured dressage horse and what you got was a barely broken in thoroughbred, then fine. Be pissed about it. For $270, maybe your entitled to having it look the way you want it to look. Personally, I would be more concerned with the groups that I could get out of the barrel than how it looks sitting on my desk. Call me crazy.

I'm going to have to go ahead and second this. At the end of the day performance is what matters most, aesthetics mean nothing. Further nobody is (or should be) buying a hard fit barrel and expecting anything other than maximum performance gains.

Feedback Score
    Maybe I should post a photo of the barrel on my P226 X5. From the factory there are a bunch of tooling marks, and probably file marks.

Match barrels start out life way oversize, and are then fitted to the gun. In my limited experience the only parts of the barrel that the gunsmith will really pay attention to are those areas that need to be fit for function and accuracy. The rest of the part might look like hell and it will not matter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Maybe I should post a photo of the barrel on my P226 X5. From the factory there are a bunch of tooling marks, and probably file marks.

Match barrels start out life way oversize, and are then fitted to the gun. In my limited experience the only parts of the barrel that the gunsmith will really pay attention to are those areas that need to be fit for function and accuracy. The rest of the part might look like hell and it will not matter.
    If you could post pictures of your x5 barrel, that would be awesome. I've been eyeing an x5 for a long time and I'm just really curious. Thanks.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast