Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust your LIFE to this? (Bar-Sto barrel complaint)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have Wilson barrels for my G17 and G19 and they do not have the tooling marks such as those shown here on the KKM and Barsto barrels. Just a sample of 2 though.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think one of the main takeaways is mfgs
    Should have consistency in the quality and inspection and customer service
    What Barsto did was not acceptable
    Those who say only function matters
    I would wager those folks would balk at paying full tilt for an externally boogered (insert favorite ar brand)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    I think one of the main takeaways is mfgs
    Should have consistency in the quality and inspection and customer service
    What Barsto did was not acceptable
    I would wager those folks would balk at paying full tilt for an externally boogered (insert favorite ar brand)
    Kind of.

Stick with me here, as it's all in the "Your Mileage May Vary" aspect.

Someone would finger up a Colt, see the spottier machining, light roll marks, crooked markings, dings or smudges; and still buy it without much thought. Mainly because Colt is known to function very well and reliably, but they are not known for their exorbitant purtiness. Because duty guns don't care if the rollmark is a little askew or light.

It does it's job and throws bullets. But it's also on par with the expectations of those who purchase those rifles. Also, it's a full rifle, not a component.

I think we can all agree, on some levels, that if it functions in the gun, great. But, my biggest issue is: I am paying 200+ for a barrel that is supposed to exceed the expectations and performances of factory barrels.

Why, then, are those barrels not polished up and purty? For 270 dollars, that is money that is spent on the consumer end with expectations.

Like the OP said, if that's acceptable by their standards, they should refund it and sell it to another person. No loss, no foul on the company's end. Especially if they charge the return shipping on the customer.

Regardless of the Triple Sides Theory, as a business, why not just make the customer happy?

Whether it's a return, refund, etc. If they're confident in their product, there shouldn't be any issues at all.

On the consumer end, he's doing the communities a service. 1st post or not, how much he fed into the situation or not, the actions of the company speak loudly regardless.

On that topic, I am really sorry. Call me crazy, if you like, but when you're shelling out over half the cost of the factory firearm, I expect the machining to be as good, if not better, than the way the factory barrel arrives.

Sorry, but no excuses. Their product should reflect their care for the consumer. The fact it was sent out in that manner in the first place is unacceptable. Halfassing a fast job to get it back to the customer just doesn't sit well with me.

Yes, he could file down a burr, but what the hell did he pay 270 for? I can understand hand fitting, but it should show up damn near immaculate and shiny as far as I am concerned.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I can’t think of a good reason to care what the inside of a glock looks like. Does it shoot? Maybe it would look better slathered in oily soot, bits of unburned powder, and tiny brass shavings.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    Snip...
    His barrel isn’t boogered externally. It is boogered in an area that is not visible when assembled, and does not affect function.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Kind of.

Stick with me here, as it's all in the "Your Mileage May Vary" aspect.

Someone would finger up a Colt, see the spottier machining, light roll marks, crooked markings, dings or smudges; and still buy it without much thought. Mainly because Colt is known to function very well and reliably, but they are not known for their exorbitant purtiness. Because duty guns don't care if the rollmark is a little askew or light.

It does it's job and throws bullets. But it's also on par with the expectations of those who purchase those rifles. Also, it's a full rifle, not a component.

I think we can all agree, on some levels, that if it functions in the gun, great. But, my biggest issue is: I am paying 200+ for a barrel that is supposed to exceed the expectations and performances of factory barrels.

Why, then, are those barrels not polished up and purty? For 270 dollars, that is money that is spent on the consumer end with expectations.

Like the OP said, if that's acceptable by their standards, they should refund it and sell it to another person. No loss, no foul on the company's end. Especially if they charge the return shipping on the customer.

Regardless of the Triple Sides Theory, as a business, why not just make the customer happy?

Whether it's a return, refund, etc. If they're confident in their product, there shouldn't be any issues at all.

On the consumer end, he's doing the communities a service. 1st post or not, how much he fed into the situation or not, the actions of the company speak loudly regardless.

On that topic, I am really sorry. Call me crazy, if you like, but when you're shelling out over half the cost of the factory firearm, I expect the machining to be as good, if not better, than the way the factory barrel arrives.

Sorry, but no excuses. Their product should reflect their care for the consumer. The fact it was sent out in that manner in the first place is unacceptable. Halfassing a fast job to get it back to the customer just doesn't sit well with me.

Yes, he could file down a burr, but what the hell did he pay 270 for? I can understand hand fitting, but it should show up damn near immaculate and shiny as far as I am concerned.
    Well said- and agree A premium brand marketing a premium reputation charging a premium price should have premium QC, Fit/Finish and CS

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Kind of.

Hopefully you'd actually fit and shoot the barrel first

Because the target population for these barrels are shooters and not folks posting on Instagram

Because all to often in all walks of life customers are generally autistic and this is especially relevant in the gun industry/cult culture (I'm not directing this at the OP but just in general)

Their customer base are shooters who want/need barrels of grouping 1" at 25 yards and 2" at 50 yards

Then your not the target base for their product. Everyone's gotten spoiled on tjhe Gucci ZEV/AGENCY/SALIENT meme pistols in recent years

Musings in red.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't think is so much about the "looks" as much as it is about what such poor attention to detail implies about the overall quality of the part. Not to mention the customer service.

Those of you who insist that "looks" are completely irrelevant, and that the only thing worthy of consideration is function, I have a question for you: which of you wouldn't care about buying a brand new Colt 6940, for example, that had been dropped a few times on some rocks? Hey, it's just a few gouges and scratches, right? Which of you would pick the gouged/scratched rifle over the identically configured spotless one for the same price? Anyone?
    Last edited by georgeib; 01-18-18 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Musings in red.
    I can appreciate your feedback.

I just don't see how 15 minutes worth of time for a guy to QC a barrel and run it through a polisher isn't worth it when you're making a markup like that.

You would be correct though, I am not in their market. While I understand your rhetoric regarding instragram and such, that's not really a factor to my opine.

Machining is as much an art as any other, and I like the way clean machining looks. We could make metaphors and analogies while comparing the gun industry to the car industry (or etc) in regard to performance parts. But, at the end of the day it is preference.

In my preference, and opine, high end performance parts should fit the bill in fit and finish. Even if it takes a little tweaking on the consumer end to use it.

Nonetheless, you make some valid rebuttals in red.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I don't think is so much about the "looks" as much as it is about what such poor attention to detail implies about the overall quality of the part. Not to mention the customer service.

Those of you who insist that "looks" are completely irrelevant, and that the only thing worthy of consideration is function, I have a question for you: which of you wouldn't care about buying a brand new Colt 6940, for example, that had been dropped a few times on some rocks? Hey, it's just a few gouges and scratches, right? Which of you would pick the gouged/scratched rifle over the identically configured spotless one for the same price? Anyone?
    This x1000!

Feedback Score
    If it was my business I’d be embarrassed to let a product go out looking like that. It looks like something Red Jacket from that TV show would do. I can’t believe so many people feel it’s ok. If it was a repair in the field and I was going to war I wouldn’t care because the function is fine. But I expect more from businesses I spend money with.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast