Thread: Re-"vetting" an AR after modifications?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Re-"vetting" an AR after modifications?

When changing a major component on an AR that has been proven as sufficiently reliable for defensive use, such as, the BCG, FCG, lower receiver, or in my case, going from a Carbine H-buffer and 6-Position receiver extension to a Rifle buffer and receiver extension, approximately how many rounds should you put through the gun in its new configuration before judging it re-"vetted" for defensive use?
    Do you treat it like a new gun and start the count over again, or is a more cursory test of function good enough when your starting point is a gun that has a history of functioning well?

In my particular case, the Carbine upper in question has actually been on a lower with a Rifle buffer and receiver extension once before a couple years back, and aside from some issues with PMC bronze, was reliable in that configuration. I'm simply going back to that setup because I find I like the way Carbine and Midlength ARs handle and shoot with a fixed A1 length stock.

Feedback Score
    If I change anything on any of my rifles, I consider them GTG after completing a coarse of fire with no malfunctions, using my "SHTF" load out with the mags and ammo I intend to use in such a scenario.

That may be overly an simplistic approach, but it's just how I do it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is no magic number. Shoot till you feel comfortable with it.

Few hundred rounds trouble free would be good for me personally.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Depends on the change.

If I replace the action spring or extractor spring with the same brand and type, then a mag or two is acceptable.

Combining a new brand of mag with a different action spring and buffer equals treating it like a new gun.