Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RMR regret?

Feedback Score
    Iron sights offer a point of reference from the moment the firearm is in view. Those with an inconsistent presentation walk the irons into alignment. A red dot is much different. The dot can only be seen in a narrow range of view. This is a problem for those with an inconsistent presentation because they cannot see the dot. Up, down, left or right??? They're lost. For those with a consistent presentation its not an issue.

For self defense purposes co-witness should be considered.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 01-18-18 at 09:28.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    I did for the first few hundred rounds. But once I got used to it I really prefer it. Need to get my M&P milled here soon in fact.
    who do you go to for M&P mill work?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was unsure about the RMR at first and I really didn’t want to mill the slide in case I ended up hating it. I ended up getting the Dueck Defense RBU which just replaces the rear sight with a mount for the RMR but also backup sights.

After I loctited the crap out of it it hasn’t come loose for about 2000 rounds.

I am definitely gonna get my slide milled, but for someone unsure, this is a good option that doesn’t cost too much ($120). Worst case scenario if you hate it you just have to put your rear sight back on instead of being stuck with a butchered up slide that you have no use for.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Iron sights offer a point of reference from the moment the firearm is in view. Those with an inconsistent presentation walk the irons into alignment. A red dot is much different. The dot can only be seen in a narrow range of view. This is a problem for those with an inconsistent presentation because they cannot see the dot. Up, down, left or right??? They're lost. For those with a consistent presentation its not an issue.
    I fall into that category of inconsistent presentation (not practicing enough presentations). I've had an RMR on a G17 for at least 5 years, and have not shot it enough to get faster with the RMR at close range than I am with irons. Recently, I've been shooting it a lot more, and this is what I've found that has helped me improve my dot acquisition:

1. Switching out my Glock frame to a Polymer80 frame. The stock Glock frame requires me angle my hand down slightly (ulnar flexion) otherwise the dot (and front sight) is high. The Polymer80 grip angle is much closer to my neutral/natural grip angle, requiring less ulnar flexion, so the dot (and sights) are aligned more closely with less wrist flex. I believe that the closer the grip angle is to your neutral grip, the more naturally the dot will be visible in the window.

2. Practicing acquiring the dot in complete darkness. To get away from using the front sights to find the dot, after doing some reps with the light on, I've started to repeat the presentations with the lights off, so that I'm only using muscle memory to press the pistol out and acquire the dot. It helps me be more aware of the angle of my support hand and how it feels, and whether it's pushing the dot to the left or right. Ideally, with a RDS, you focus on the target, present, and the dot should be super-imposed on the target, without ever switching focus to the pistol sights then back to the target. Practicing in the dark is similar to looking at a target, closing your eyes, making the presentation, and seeing if your sights are on target.

3. Shooting at a blank piece of white paper at the range (not a target). This is to help me observe what the dot is doing during and after recoil. Instead of focusing on a target, I just put the dot on a white sheet of paper and fire strings, each time seeing whether the dot ends up close to where it was before, or off. This helps me figure out how what I need to do with my grip, to help the dot return within view of the window, after each shot.

YMMV of course.

To the OP's original question - no regrets going with an adjustable dot RMR. No issues except once when one of the mounting screws loosened and I was wondering why my zero was all over. I now put silver sharpie witness marks on both screws as a quick visual check (besides co-witness with the irons).

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post

To the OP's original question - no regrets going with an adjustable dot RMR. No issues except once when one of the mounting screws loosened and I was wondering why my zero was all over. I now put silver sharpie witness marks on both screws as a quick visual check (besides co-witness with the irons).
    Thanks the tip! I appreciate all the other info as well. I know I'm going to a lot of reps to be it down.

I feel like my sight acquisition is good, I'm kind of excited for the red dot to show me what I'm actually lacking in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snackgunner View Post
    who do you go to for M&P mill work?
    I would check out ATEI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I would check out ATEI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I would check out ATEI.
    That's who did mine, and I am a very happy customer.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    That's who did mine, and I am a very happy customer.
    If I could do it all over again, i would get a different setup than the options I chose. Mainly, rear dovetail cut in front of the optic, and seeing if they could mill an optic plate for the M&P so I could run the pistol without the optic. As it stands right now, my rear sight is integrated to the DPP and I wish I could do it differently. The entire thought process behind that was saving about $50 and I wish I could do it all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    FYI buddy of mine had a DPP for USPSA and regretted it - said it had to go back several times for warranty work.

OTOH - my self adjusting LED RMR dot went out on me the last time at the range. Took it off and inspected, remounted and the dot was back. My other RMR is the adjustable and has never gone out on me but I have only had these for a few months. Low round count.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast