Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To build or to buy.... can't decide.

Feedback Score

To build or to buy.... can't decide.

If this is the wrong location for this I apologize.

My internal debate on what to do regarding the current state of my AR's has not resolved itself with only my own input. So this train wreck of an internal argument is now going to spill out here in a solicitation for advice from whom ever would like to chime in. I will apologize again, in advance for the unfiltered written stream of consciousness of a moron (me) that you may or may not subject yourself to in reading this or responding.

So I have 3 AR's. All of them are of the collapsing stock variety: one Colt M4A1 SOCOM II, one Daniel Defense DDM4 V11 Pro (Keymod), and one CMMG pile of garbage franken-gun with a DD barrel. The Colt and the DD are both well built and good to go. Downside is that both of them are a bit on the porky side for taking to class and running all day while moving around etc. The franken-gun is all CMMG aside from the barrel and gas block, which may be the only quality parts on the rifle aside from a VLTOR buffer tube extension. Forgive me I bought it before I knew better and had to re-barrel it already.

At any rate I'm wanting to shave about 1 pound off the weight of the the Colt or Daniel Defense which are both right at 7.5lbs before optics, magazines, slings etc. Unfortunately I haven't found any specific upper that really grabs my attention as perfect for what I want aside from a KAC URX 16". So that leaves me with the prospect of building one. So I priced out the build with as close as I could find to the parts I want: BCM upper receiver, Ballistic Advantage Hanson 16" CHF barrel (better act fast on that...), SIONICS NP3 BCG, BCM Gunfighter CH, Geissele MK8 rail (DDC) Surefire Warcomp, Magpul BUIS Pro, gas tube, some roll pins. Probably have to order some more punches for roll pins. Pay shipping from multiple vendors. Then assemble myself, and hope like hell all the parts want to play nice and work together, any problems are on me. Guessing that all told I'm somewhere in the $1500 range to get a functional upper that is close to what I think I want.

Now I don't mid tinkering with stuff, but it occurs to me that at Brownells I could back order an entire brand new Knights Armament SR-15 E3 Mod 2 M-LOK 16" carbine for $2016.44. Plus I have a $100.00 gift card to Brownells right now. Full warranty, factory gun, made to work as a system with all the parts of the gas system etc. The upper alone is sold for $1700.00.

So I have to ask myself, and can't seem to come to a conclusive answer, if I should just spend the extra coin and get another rifle. Not sure, but I suspect I'll get next to nothing for the CMMG if I sell it. Probably take a bath on the Daniel Defense too. Might make money on the Colt, but I really like it and don't want to sell it.

What would you guys do?

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Not long ago I would have said build. but we are the at the point where you can buy just about any configuration you want. And frankly when it is a KAC the answer is always buy.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    Yeah you're probably right about that.

Feedback Score
    Don't sell your DD, don't sell your M4. Don't even bother selling your homebrew.

Buy a KAC.

If I was in a position to be seriously looking at a SR-15, I wouldn't be looking at anything else.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    If you still lack roll-pin punches, you probably would need to spend a bunch on other tools to build an upper and lower. That does not sound like you have a lot of build experience. Those lessons can be expensive. Sell the complete CMMG for $500 and buy the SR-15.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I'd just buy the KAC upper. Even a used one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Buy. As Carly Simon said "these are the good old days".

Throw that CMMG in the back of the safe. It could be worth a lot in a few years.

My 2 cents. YMMV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uffdaphil View Post
    If you still lack roll-pin punches, you probably would need to spend a bunch on other tools to build an upper and lower. That does not sound like you have a lot of build experience. Those lessons can be expensive. Sell the complete CMMG for $500 and buy the SR-15.
    I have most of the other tools. Just broke my last punch small enough for the gas tube roll pin. I've rebuilt the CMMG upper once, so this would be my 2nd build. At this point I'd order a set of roll pin punches and roll pin starter punches too. Which would be about $100 or so I am guessing. Factored into the build cost already.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I would save everything I have already and buy a SR-15 if the funds were available for it.

I have been recently kicking around the idea about buying one myself even with 3stripped lowers laying around and a complete colt lower.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is the KAC going to get you the weight reduction you require?

Have you considered replacing your DD barrel with a lightweight 14.5 or 16" one?

As alternates to KAC, BCM and DD have lightweight carbines that are 5.8 to 5.9 pounds. Brownell's KAC price is quite attractive if it'll meet your needs.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-16-18 at 23:17.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast