Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: POF Roller Cam Upgrade?

Feedback Score

POF Roller Cam Upgrade?

Hey guys,

I was just reading about Ned's staking tool and then transitioned thoughts toward the POF roller cam might make a good upgrade.

I know a couple guys on here have tried them out, such as Stickman, but I wanted to get the definitive rundown on if it works and is it worth it?

My logical brain assumes that any wear the upper receiver gets from the cam pin would just occur to the point where that upper is just broken in?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My sample of one says it works, but that isn’t with a super high round count. I’m also willing to point out that while in MIL & LE service, I’ve never seen a huge cam pin issue. That doesn’t mean things can’t be made better, and I freely admit I’ve never heard of or seen a problem with the POF cam pin.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    My logical brain assumes that any wear the upper receiver gets from the cam pin would just occur to the point where that upper is just broken in?
    Yep. That's it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I just added one to my MCX and manually cycling the bolt definitely feels smoother. My understanding is that it is more beneficial to piston operated guns that use carrier inertia to unlock the bolt. It might also reduce the friction when the bolt picks up a new cartridge from the magazine and the cam slides against the receiver. I’ve never read of this being an actual problem. On a regular AR, I probably wouldn’t spend $20 on a roller to save cosmetic wear from a $60 upper receiver.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've been running them in my rifles for several years and very happy with them. Haven't had any failures and they do seem to smooth the action ever so slightly.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    They really shine more in piston guns than DI guns, although they will still smooth out DI guns a little too. They are very high quality and durable, coated in NP3.

Feedback Score
    I’d roll it right into the trash can. Another solution in search of a problem from a questionable company IMO.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by graffex View Post
    I’d roll it right into the trash can. Another solution in search of a problem from a questionable company IMO.
    Agreed. I wouldn't own anything remotely related to POF.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Agreed. I wouldn't own anything remotely related to POF.
    Is there something bad about POF I don’t know about? If there is please let me know because I don’t want to buy stuff from a company that’s not pro second amendment. I just heard that story about the owner of Rand CLP.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    They cause extra damage if used in carbines and SBRs running cans.

Increased duration of pressure spike blows through chamber against the bolt face after unlock and causes the BCG to be pushed to the rear, tipping the cam pin into the inside of the upper.

Having the total surface area of the pin reduced from the flat fixed pin to a much smaller contact surface of the round pin creates a nice divot right behind the cam pin relief cutout. And no, i'm not talking about the typical wear leading into the relief cutout that most people complain about.

Might work better in non-suppressed platforms.
    It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand -Yagyu Munemori

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast