Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To build or to buy.... can't decide.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    SR-15.
    AR15 builds arent fun for me anymore

Feedback Score
    Seems to be a lot of consensus here.

Kind of figured there would be, just bouncing the idea off you guys to see if an opposing point of view presented.

I had no idea Brownells was so reasonable on the SR-15. Not sure if that is an everyone price or the LEO, .mil, and former .mil price.

My next quandary is considering if it’s time to consolidate pistols down to a few that I actually like to shoot. Also reduce my reloading chores to a more manageable level of calibers. Really want a Wilson EDC X9 too. I’d have to shed some other blasters though to make that happen.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Seems to be a lot of consensus here.

Kind of figured there would be, just bouncing the idea off you guys to see if an opposing point of view presented.

I had no idea Brownells was so reasonable on the SR-15. Not sure if that is an everyone price or the LEO, .mil, and former .mil price.

My next quandary is considering if it’s time to consolidate pistols down to a few that I actually like to shoot. Also reduce my reloading chores to a more manageable level of calibers. Really want a Wilson EDC X9 too. I’d have to shed some other blasters though to make that happen.
    I went through a very similar decision. And in the end that is exactly what I did. Consolidated down on Calibers and types of handguns. I find that I enjoy practical shooting and not much else so for me that means 9mm handguns and Rifles in 5.56, .300 BLK, and 7.62x51. I also went from 14 ARs down to 6 and plan to cut that down even more in the coming months. I can only shoot 1 gun at a time and I found that many of mine were exact copies with just a different roll mark or color of furniture.

Now for me it is about making sure that each gun I have is set up exactly like I want it. While have 3 guns with Mid ranged 1-4 optics on them when I can have 1 with that mid ranged optic and 1 with a much better 1-6 Optic. Why have three 14.5 inch guns with the exact same rail and furniture?

Why did I have 4 Glock 17s and 3 G19s that were all pretty much Stock? Instead I now have 1 and 2 that are configured just the way I want. The list goes on. At some point I think many of us realize we are buying just to buy. Which if you make 6 figures and have no debt at all then that is probably fine. But for most of us it is just a waste.

My new rule is this. If a gun hasn't been out of the safe in 6 months it gets sold.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Start by getting a light(er)weight upper and drop it onto the CMMG lower. Make whatever upgrades to the lower are necessary. Leave the Colt and DD rifles as they are.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    The Colt and DD will for sure stay as is.

If the CMMG stays it will slowly but surely be converted into something that is not garbage. I should probably strip the current good barrel off the upper for spare parts in the meantime.

As it sits the CMMG upper itself is not good quality, the M4 feed ramps were cut after it was anodized, and they don’t look like the Colt or DD in geometry. In fact the barrel extension sits proud of the top of the cuts, so the monkey that did it cut them wrong on top of trying to convert a rifle upper after the fact. I wonder if it is actually 7075-T6... there are forge marks on it so... maybe?

The BCG contains a non MPI bolt of unknown origin. The carrier itself seems fine aside from the gas key bolts not being staked for shit. I had to re torgue them once. Probably cannot be trusted.

The lower is just cheap. The castle nut was installed backwards. Yep backwards. Otherwise it’s a lower. Given my experience so far with CMMG I doubt it is 7075-T6 because they seem to do the cheap thing, not the right thing.

The original barrel flaked the chrome lining out after about 300 rounds. When I pulled it off closer inspection revealed that the crown had probably been cut with a hacksaw. Real quality piece.

CMMG was unresponsive to these complaints, never returning calls or emails over 10 years ago when I tried to get it corrected. So I gave up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If your looking for weight reduction I would also recommend one of the lightweight BCM complete rifles.

I started with a S&W carbine and then picked up a DDM4V11 PRO, both were heavy because the carbine was my go to with all the add on crap and the PRO with the 18" barrel was just heavier.
    After that I picked up the BCM and it felt like nothing compared to the other two rifles, and it's a lot less than a Knights which I don't believe is considered lightweight.

If you want real light weight you could always build an AR pistol and then SBR it? My 9" BCM/Knights 300 blackout is very light!

No way I would modify the DD or Colt. Maybe buy a LW 16" BCM upper and drop it onto any of your lowers to see if you like it, if you do you could build or buy a BCM lower after?

My DD was just the PRO upper when I bought it, attached it to Complete BCM lower until I found a complete DD lower. Then I bought the complete BCM upper to go with the lower.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    I just built my first AR (first rifle ever) -actually three at the same time. Sold one.

I say buy, buy, buy like Louis and Billy Ray in Trading Places.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A complete BCM MLOK/KMR will be lighter than the SR-15. But I wouldn’t blame you at all for buying the SR-15. Once I can afford it I’m going to pick up a second SR-15. My current one is my favorite AR-15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Buy an SR-15 Mod 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I have most of the other tools. Just broke my last punch small enough for the gas tube roll pin. I've rebuilt the CMMG upper once, so this would be my 2nd build. At this point I'd order a set of roll pin punches and roll pin starter punches too. Which would be about $100 or so I am guessing. Factored into the build cost already.
    I'm in no way encouraging you to build, but Primary Arms has a set of roll pin punches on sale right now for $17-something or other. I'm not sure if starter punches are included with that set or not.

That said....If the KAC is well within your budget, I wouldn't hesitate one second in buying and be done with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast