Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to shed some light on the vltor a5, BCM Inter, A2 rifle buffer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

trying to shed some light on the vltor a5, BCM Inter, A2 rifle buffer

i have been doing some reading on the 3 buffer systems.

it seems to me that vltor came out with their proprietary system to allow collapsible stocks with a buffer system that mimics the rifle buffer system, but you have to use their parts only (buffer tube, buffer, stock), correct?

then it seems like BCM came out with their intermediate buffer tube to allow the use of non-proprietary collapsible stocks, but still have to use the vltor buffers? so the end user will be able to use any magpul/bcm/el cheapo stock they wish?

in the end, all 3 systems are near identical function, just a different approach?

so if i don't need a collapsible stock, rock on with the A2 stock/spring/rifle buffer and save some money.

if i want semi-proprietary parts, but like magpul/bcm/el cheapo stocks better, then get the bcm?

if i want full blown proprietary, get the vltor?

i am aware that the spring is the same for all 3, and bcm uses a lighter buffer than what the a5 comes with.

am i making sense of this correctly?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can use any milspec stock on the Vltor. It just may not be able to to collasped flush with the end of the RE.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You can use any mil-spec stock on the BCM and VLTOR tubes.

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    The Vltor and BCM are very similar buffer tubes, but the BCM has 8 positions as opposed to 7 or 6 for the Vltor (depending on which one you get). Similarly, Magpul has come out with their own 10 position buffer tube that is compatible with the A5 system.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    You can also use whichever buffer (A5H0-4) and whichever rifle action spring you want with any of the A5 receiver extensions

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    As noted the VLTOR and BCM tubes are both compatible with mil-spec sized telestocks.

The A5 system is 99% the same, functionally, as a rifle setup and uses rifle springs. The functional difference is that you can buy various buffer weights for an A5. With a rifle buffer you can make the weight you want by opening the buffer and replacing steel weights with tungsten, but this is DIY vs. being able to buy an off-the-shelf product from major makers. However, the company Heavy Buffers offers almost any size and weight you could want, here:
    http://heavybuffers.com/

I've found that A1 length fixed stocks are a nice setup for many uses. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    A great buffer system for those who want a collapsible stock vs an A1 or A2
    LMT’s buffer tube from their .308 guns work well with the A5.....my preferred tube for the A5

The key to the system is the rifle spring and the internal spring in the A5 buffer it’s self
    Last edited by hk_shootr; 03-04-18 at 20:38.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Using the search feature will explain a lot about the A5. There are probably no less than 10 different threads including one that mentions the Vltor, BCM and Magpul versions.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    So bottom line - What actually is the difference/benefit between a vltor, bcm magpul setup with a properly restricted, or adjustable gas system? or a properly set up carbine gas system? meaning the right buffer with a properly adjustable gas block. and if you have a adjustable gas block, why or why not go to the vltor etc. setups?

Thanks to all.lr.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR10TFn View Post
    So bottom line - What actually is the difference/benefit between a vltor, bcm magpul setup with a properly restricted, or adjustable gas system? or a properly set up carbine gas system? meaning the right buffer with a properly adjustable gas block. and if you have a adjustable gas block, why or why not go to the vltor etc. setups?

Thanks to all.lr.
    It adds a wider operation range. While offering a smoother recoil impulse. Though some say it’s negligible, and a modification you forget you made after a few mags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast