Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rocksett for supressed and non-suppressed muzzle device installation

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I only use it on muzzle devices and gas blocks, if they have set screws
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I also use it on gas blocks if they have set screws. A lot of manufacturers seem to use red Loctite, which while requiring heat to loosen, must work well enough I suppose.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    That sounds like the best of both worlds. Are you guys using it on any other assemblies such as gas blocks (high heat) or receiver extensions (no heat)? Even for assemblies that don't see heat it sounds like its resistance to chemicals, oils, solvents would make it a good for such assemblies.
    Gas blocks? Yes.

REs? No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Rocksett for supressed and non-suppressed muzzle device installation

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    What are you guys finding as an advantage of using Rocksett on muzzle devices over the various types of Loctite?
    Shooting with a can adds roughly 15 degrees F, PER SHOT.

In 30 rounds, accounting for an ambient temperature of 80 F, one gets perilously close to the 450 F heat rating of red 272 in one single magazine, as far as the heat put into the can and the muzzle device.

Rocksett being flat rated to about 2100 F is a huge improvement in temp rating.

So, for a precision rig, there may not be a difference. But for a defensive or comp rig, there certainly is.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 01-27-18 at 18:24.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    Heres my take on Rocksett and its storage.

A couple years back I Installed 2 diff muzzle devices using 2 diff brand new tubes of rocksett I had on the bench from SF muzzle devices.

A week after I shipped a customer upper out with a BC 51T mount, I got a call saying his BC had started coming loose... I said hmm wtf... We got him taken care of.

About a month later, I got a call from an LE guy who had a silencerco brake I installed, he said it had broken loose too.

After seeing the BC 51T upper in house after the case, I noticed the residue on the threads was not the usual white, but dark grey. Thats not the norm for rocksett as most of us have seen.

When I talked to the LE guy, he said his residue was also dark grey.

After some talks with Flexbar, they said that they dont sell rocksett less than a 55gal drum. The Rocksett is packaged by their customers and then sold. We all know that rocksett breaks down due to oxygen exposure and flexbar indicated to a roughly 1 year shelf life after its first exposure to oxygen.

Knowing that, I would not keep rocksett of any packaging over 6 mon as the first exposure to oxygen is unknown.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    Heres my take on Rocksett and its storage.

A couple years back I Installed 2 diff muzzle devices using 2 diff brand new tubes of rocksett I had on the bench from SF muzzle devices.

A week after I shipped a customer upper out with a BC 51T mount, I got a call saying his BC had started coming loose... I said hmm wtf... We got him taken care of.

About a month later, I got a call from an LE guy who had a silencerco brake I installed, he said it had broken loose too.

After seeing the BC 51T upper in house after the case, I noticed the residue on the threads was not the usual white, but dark grey. Thats not the norm for rocksett as most of us have seen.

When I talked to the LE guy, he said his residue was also dark grey.

After some talks with Flexbar, they said that they dont sell rocksett less than a 55gal drum. The Rocksett is packaged by their customers and then sold. We all know that rocksett breaks down due to oxygen exposure and flexbar indicated to a roughly 1 year shelf life after its first exposure to oxygen.

Knowing that, I would not keep rocksett of any packaging over 6 mon as the first exposure to oxygen is unknown.
    Excellent info, Steve.

However, my bottle came directly from Flexbar, both on the shipping label and invoice inside the box.

Feedback Score
    Thats good and like i said, this was from a couple years back. I suppose things have changed since then.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    Thats good and like i said, this was from a couple years back. I suppose things have changed since then.
    At least these two listings on eBay are. I'm sure that there are many other bottles of Rocksett that are individually packaged by a third party.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Being a huge fan of Rocksett by Flexbar for attaching muzzle devices, I found this on eBay:

4oz for ~$20 shipped
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Temper...AAAOSwofxUmEn2

2oz for ~$15 shipped
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Temper...wAAOSwiCRUmEcA

Cheapest source on the web that I can currently find.

Both being more than one could need aside from a gunshop (a little goes a fantastically long way). But Rocksett does get gelatinous (and, therefore, useless) with if exposed to air, so keep the bottle vertical and the cap on. Still, no more small bottles from various big box online retailers with $15 shipping.

My 2oz container arrived yesterday and the invoice indicated it is indeed direct from Flexbar, the actual company. Very nice. Already installed my AR10 ASR trifecta flash hider with it. As always, fully degrease and clean with rubbing alcohol prior to install for all surfaces. Let set for at least 12 hours (I prefer 24) and you're off to the races.

Also, note that when anaerobic threadlockers are used on precision threads (with very little play and, thus, air), they begin to fixture QUICKLY. I learned this last night while installing my Mega/ZEV wedgelock AR10 keymod rail.

More on that build in the appropriate section, at a later date.
    Yep thats what I bought, two bottles. I didn't really think the bottles would be 1/4 that size. But liked getting them. good stuff.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Shooting with a can adds roughly 15 degrees F, PER SHOT.

In 30 rounds, accounting for an ambient temperature of 80 F, one gets perilously close to the 450 F heat rating of red 272 in one single magazine, as far as the heat put into the can and the muzzle device.

Rocksett being flat rated to about 2100 F is a huge improvement in temp rating.

So, for a precision rig, there may not be a difference. But for a defensive or comp rig, there certainly is.

No doubt.

Was workiing on an upper today where red Loctite was used to secure the silencerco ASR suppressor mount brake to the barrel.

It was on there really good cold, but 10 seconds with the MAPP gas torch softened it right up and it came of with minimal torque after that.

That wouldn't have held up very well for heavy use.
    Last edited by Clint; 01-29-18 at 22:53.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast