Thread: tuning carbine length to feel like mid length

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

tuning carbine length to feel like mid length

i have been reading so many threads over the last few day and i cannot remember where i saw this at.

can you tune with heavier buffers a 10.5" carbine gas system to feel like a mid length gas system? i think i saw somewhere people were saying they were using h3 and h4? this will not be suppressed at this time for what i want to do. if adding the heavier buffers to soften the recoil, will that have the potential to run into problems that i am reading with the mid length gas systems with weak ammo?

set up is DDMK18 shooting out to 300yds.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    There's no duplicating the feel of a longer gas system with a shorter barrel.

Overly heavy buffers have negatives and can't compensate for gross overgassing. An H or H2 buffer is a good place to start and end with.

The 10.5 carbine is a good configuration in terms of matching barrel length and gas system length.

The best method to get great performance from any good configuration is to adjust the gas drive to proper levels.

This can be done with our MicroTUNE Adjustable Gas Blocks and CustomTUNE Gas Ports or with more conventional externally adjustable gas blocks.
    Last edited by Clint; 01-18-18 at 07:28.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    A5 might be your best bet

Feedback Score
    I can see a place for the short barreled carbines but nothing replaces a mid length gas system. The M-4 is a great rifle for going into confined spaces and shooting bad guys but an extra 1.5 inches of barrel and a related lengthened gas tube is just common sense for most folks. Now might be the time for an adjustable gas system if you want the short rifles.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    An LMT enhanced carrier is the closest you will get.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Clint has got it. Heavy buffers on over gassed shorties give off more recoil "pop" usually.

Tuning the gas flow is the only way to get close. We've tuned 5 or 6 10.5"-11.5" barrels to run correctly. Each one still has its own recoil impulse... some smoother than others. even with the same port size and barrel length. They ALL run way better though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
    I can see a place for the short barreled carbines but nothing replaces a mid length gas system. The M-4 is a great rifle for going into confined spaces and shooting bad guys but an extra 1.5 inches of barrel and a related lengthened gas tube is just common sense for most folks. Now might be the time for an adjustable gas system if you want the short rifles.
    i bought the SBR a few years ago for the cool factor and to shoot it suppressed, but i hate shooting it suppressed. i plan on doing some matches with it and wanted a longer hand guard so that's what got me on the kick of a 12.5 or a 14.5. i chose to go with a 14.5" mid length gas system for all of the benefits. then i stated thinking, why not just go with a 16", it's only another 1.5", then i'd want a longer hand guard for the 16" barrel, then i started thinking of a new BCG and upper so i can just swap uppers instead of swapping parts on my DDMK18. then i started to ad up the cost of everything.....then i came to senses.
    Last edited by corey4; 01-18-18 at 09:35.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

tuning carbine length to feel like mid length

Edit: just saw Clint’s reply, I was suggesting his product. Ignore me.
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 01-18-18 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    Since you have multiple mk18’s, put a micro gas port in it and use it as a dedicated silencer host.

You can also try different action springs.