Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lesson about Money and AR's

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Lesson about Money and AR's

Having just read the latest post on shit not fitting/working/mysteries occurring, and witnessing one more outrageous failure at a local range, there's something I'd like to share with those that are contemplating building their own AR, and/or sourcing numerous parts to do modifications.

One of the reasons to build your own is to save money. Another is so you can set it up just how you like.
    Then for many it's a combination of both, plus the enjoyment of doing it - we're guys and like to build shit (and blow it up) plus its good being intimately familiar with the rig you shoot.

Which leads me to the main issue: where do you spend the bread, and where does one pinch pennies. What rationale to apply. What makes sense, and what is window-dressing, save your hard-earned cash.
    There are a few facts one should not question, and some concepts that simply make sense.

From my experience, the following truths apply:

Lets consider the concept of 'spending money'.
    Look at the cost of a case of decent beer. A bottle of bourbon, single malt Scotch, good cigars, couple big ol steaks.
    Or the amount of money we spend daily on what are basically 'perishable' goods or services. How much do we spend filling up gas, utilities for the home etc.
    Look at these numbers, and realize that in general they represent consumables, eat drink be merry, then all gone…..Never to be seen again

Now apply these numbers on gas blocks, receivers, LPK's, barrels BCG's…..
    The insane lengths some go through to save what…..$20? $30?
    Items that when purchased from reputable makers in many cases will outlast you, that make or break reliability, functionality, accuracy.

Do we love 'cheap' so much that we're willing to accept inferior quality, or worse, endanger our health?
    Apparently so,,as i have witnessed now one time too many.

Given the current market - now more than ever does it make sense to get quality gear.
    Least of all - it gives confidence.
    I have literally never had a problem with fit using any of the recognized, reputable manufacturers. Never. Period.

A good deal is when a part, any part, from a reputable manufacturer/dealer/vendor is available at a good price, used or new. March-madness sale, Dark Friday, introduction offer etc. Look for them, shop around, there's plenty of this out there.
    Thats it.
    Going this route will require a bit of patience, but when all is said and done, $$ can be saved, while still running top notch gear.

It is NOT a good deal when you find a part dirt cheap, a fraction of the usual cost, but the make, 'provenance' so to say, is none existent, or questionable at best, rationalizing it with ….oh, you just pay for the name, they're all the same…"…..
    That pretty much covers it.

Thank you.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    When money alone is driving your decision, you lack the research to make that decision. And that’s true in everything.

A third reason to build an AR: to know how to repair them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

How much is your gun really worth to you?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There are some that pinching pennies is nearly ingrained in their nature and it pervades all aspects of their lives, usually to the annoyance of their friends/aquaintances. Others are not realistically balancing their actual budget with their desires to have cool looking ish like everyone else (their perspective) and think all the money spent on gizmos; good, bad or otherwise, gets them membership in some sort of cool guys club that doesn't really exist.

An no matter what you say most folks continue to believe "parts is parts" and theyre are all the same.... even when you can show them vast differences between two "identical" parts and even explain sources. They just say "so what?" Or "youre paying for a name" even while your rifles works as theirs goes back in the bag, prematurely, for the 3rd consecutive range trip. Its honestly gotten to be like talking to mules.(or How I imagine that might go)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The same can be said about overspending on things where that investment provides little to no return.

Aero receiver sets can be had for a song, and they do everything you need them to do. Why bother spending more unless you have an incredibly compelling reason to do so? If you're building a $3k+ precision AR with a Krieger barrel, then aw hell, why not go for an MUR upper?! But let's be honest: most of us aren't doing that. Most of us can't even shoot anywhere near that well.

Also, an LPK is an LPK is an LPK, so long as what is in there is up to spec. In-spec is literally the only thing that matters, and you can either pay X or 3X for that just to have someone's name on it. Again, an exception is if you want special extras. An LPK with an ALG ACT or BCM PNT or Geissele SSA, or a MagPul trigger guard and grip, is not in fact a standard LPK, and paying a premium makes sense. There's plenty of shops that turn out LPKs with everything in spec and with great Customer Service records that will set you straight if there's a problem. The Aero and ALG LPKs are pretty much the only that I buy, and I have two of the former and one of the latter.

There is always a Price :: Performance ratio to be found in everything. If you want gucci stuff, I hope you're looking for gucci in the right places: optics, barrels, triggers, ammo.

Finally, I can't stand the line of thought that produces a statement like "what's your life worth?!" Money and cost are not stand-ins for capability and skill. I am far more dangerous with a stock $400 Glock than most people at my local plate matches with their $2-3k custom CZs and 1911s.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 01-18-18 at 16:49.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    Aero receiver sets can be had for a song, and they do everything you need them to do. Why bother spending more unless you have an incredibly compelling reason to do so? If you're building a $3k+ precision AR with a Krieger barrel, then aw hell, why not go for an MUR upper?! But let's be honest: most of us aren't doing that. Most of us can't even shoot anywhere near that well.
    Hmm.

Parts are parts though.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I learned most of this the hard way. Cheaping out on "just as good" stuff in my younger years. Ever since I started saving and buying quality stuff though, nothing "lesser" really appeals to me. I don't even have any "for fun" guns anymore. Everything I currently have I train with. There's some satisfaction there in it's self. I still can be the victim of hype and excitement though too, but I don't spend the money I used to on it.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you've ever had to mess with/suffer through DPMS anything then parts really aren't parts.

I once beliebed the "all AR lowers are the same" spiel until I took my first AR armorer class and boy did that wake me up.

I wouldn't spend $$$ on takedown pins but LPKs, Barrels, Upper receivers, etc...yeah. I'll save my pennies and cry once.

My M110K1 clone was an odyssey in playing KAC Parts Pokemon. It was well....not fun. The only cheat was a PRI gas block and a Rock Creek Barrel. The BCG however required a Faustian deal with the devil.

So people need not preach to me about what's "important".

The barrel is a bit fatter at the journal but it keeps a tighter group than my ECC.

My ECC is more like a battle rifle, but accurate. My only true regret is popping a MAMS on my M110K1 clone. It does okay but I should have put the QDC on it to tweak a bit more accuracy out of it.

Like lessay we had to play Fallout 5: North Korean BBQ; my ECC would be more like a straight up battle rifle but my Clone seems like it wants to keep its distance.

I need a better scope on my clone to do it justice. It is quite a gun.

It wouldnt be what it is if I got chintsy with parts. Just a fact.

Feedback Score
    The hard part for inexperienced/uninformed AR-15 DIY assemblers is that you can actually spend more money and wind up with a less reliable rifle compared to a rifle made with true quality parts. I'd throw out some examples here but don't want to trash any companies by name or start a hissy fit. This even includes some that advertise as improving reliability.
    Examples of this include certain buffers, bolts, FSB's, gas blocks, triggers, cam pins, barrels, upper receivers, the list goes on and on. Any member who has spent their fair share of reading on this site could name examples of each of these.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    The hard part for inexperienced/uninformed AR-15 DIY assemblers is that you can actually spend more money and wind up with a less reliable rifle
    Considering how much parts are and how much whole rifles or upper/lower combos are, the premium of whole rifles including the cost of engineers who figure out reliability is worth it. When O was in office it was probably a bit better to build as the whole rifles were pretty expensive and the parts you wanted usually weren't on them. Now most things come with more features than I need and buying an upper and one of those brownells colt lowers kinda beats everything. I get a few hours of my Saturday back too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast