Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audrey's "Purple Crusader"

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

Audrey's "Purple Crusader"

For my lovely wife's birthday in 2016, I bought her a rifle. A DoubleStar C3 lightweight carbine, on sale at a store for almost half of MSRP.

But this is the custom build forum, right?

So as the rifle came, it was nice and light, and quite compact. The first iteration involved simply mounting a Sig Sauer Romeo 4C solar powered red dot, which was actually quite nice for the money, and a Surefire Scout. We got a BCM pistol grip and Magpul PMag20, and RIT dyed them, along with the Blue Force Gear VCAS sling, to be a wine color. Ambi safety and charging handle were added, buffer was changed to H.

At this point, two ergonomic deficiencies were noted: although light and streamlined, the stock and rail were quite short, and the ergonomics of the sling/weaponlight/BUIS/bipod made the rail situation even worse. She wanted a longer rail, and I tested that theory by actually simply installing the Samson 4" extension onto the already existing rail. Hideous, heavy, and ungainly, but it proved the theory, so I would up getting her a Samson 12" rail for a good price. Optic was changed to a Trijicon RMR RM04, light to a Surefire X300U, and she added her sweet pink camo handguard wrap which I hate.

Still not done, she wanted an adjustable stock to account for shooting in different positions, such as prone. I took this opportunity to buy her a replacement lower receiver, which she had seen and liked previously. I gave that to her with a BCM PNT trigger and receiver extension, and she picked out the Magpul SL over the SLS that I had planned on.

Now was her opportunity to change colors, and she decided to go with a deep purple instead, as it's her favorite color. With the major fashion problem being that damn handguard wrap, I got lucky and found out that the awesome ALG EMR was actually made in anodized purple; it was the perfect choice. The ergonomics were a huge improvement over the Samson, and allowed us to actually use proper rail covers and a handstop.

The light was changed to the Scout-AA because the space was now available and it is better suited for this rifle. The 7MOA RMR was also less than ideal as a primary optic, and I splurged and got her a TA47-2 ACOG. 2x combined with the triangle reticle definitely helped. Finally, our shared suppressor was added, and the rifle was complete.

Parts list:

Upper-
    DoubleStar upper receiver
    DoubleStar BCG
    DoubleStar 1/9 pencil barrel
    DoubleStar low profile gas block, modified on the bottom for clearance with rail accessories
    ALG EMR V2 13", purple
    LaRue index clips
    Magpul MLOK rail covers, both types
    Magpul MLOK handstop kit
    Magpul MLOK QD sling mount
    Magpul MBUS sights
    AXTS/Radian Raptor charging handle
    Surefire Scout M600-AA in Gear Sector offset mount
    Trijicon TA47-2 ACOG in Bobro high mount
    SilencerCo Omega .300 with ASR flash hider

Lower-
    Spike's Crusader lower receiver
    DoubleStar lower parts
    Colt H buffer
    Battle Arms Development Ambi-Safety-Selector 90°
    BCM PNT trigger
    BCM receiver extension
    BCM MOD3 pistol grip
    Magpul MOE-SL stock
    Lancer L5AWM limited edition purple
    Blue Force Gear VCAS sling
    Last edited by masakari; 01-19-18 at 10:07.

Feedback Score
    Very cool. They both look like keepers!
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You got yourself a beautiful family.

This past week, I just set up my .22 AR to accommodate my 10-year old son's smaller stature. It's been fun explaining and showing him how to swap parts out.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    You got yourself a beautiful family.

You haven't even seen this pretty one yet! This little angel is going to be a knockout.
    I got my son his first rifle for Christmas, a Savage rascal .22. It's been pretty cold and snowy, but we're finally going to shoot it on Sunday I think.
    Last edited by masakari; 01-19-18 at 12:26.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post

You haven't even seen this pretty one yet! This little angel is going to be a knockout.
    I got my son his first rifle for Christmas, a Savage rascal .22. It's been pretty cold and snowy, but we're finally going to shoot it on Sunday I think.
    Stay safe, brother!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It definitely turned out well!

Andy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Congratulations, brother!

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Dude, I remember you from Arnies. Can't believe you've gotten married and all.

Congrats!
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Dude, I remember you from Arnies. Can't believe you've gotten married and all.

Congrats!
    Haha life's crazy like that. I'm an old man now, 30 with two kids! Only two things haven't changed, I'm still into guns and gear, and I'm still trying to get home. But I'm working on that last one, shouldn't be long now.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What dye did you use on the Lancers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast