Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Streamlight TLR-7 & 8

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Planning on likely getting the dash 8. Have waited months for the Crimson Trace CMR-300 to hit the streets. Then CT lets me know 2 weeks ago they pulled the product. This looks like it'll be just fine on my AR pistol though I prefer the paddles on the CT.
    Purchased the TLR-8 from a store on GB for 150.00 and a few bucks for shipping. Had it in two days. Believe I have 4 other lasers that were all zeroed a year ago and others were zeroed longer than that. The reason I mention this is I just can't recall what the adjustment procedure is. Zeroed it last night. If I was 2 inches to the right of my point of aim, I had to adjust the beam to the right, not the left. Same with vertical. If I was 2 inches high I had to adjust up; not down. Now that I write this I guess that makes sense.

The adjustment screws use a hex that I measured very closely to being 0.050" or 1.3mm. The top of the left to right screw head is pretty much flush with the light housing and easy to turn but firm enough to not walk out. The vertical is a mother. It's recessed way down in there, approach is at an angle and it's very tight. Tight to the point where it feels like the allen is going to bend or snap.

At first I felt the vertical screw was missing and overall it was a defective item. Sent it back and received another. They actually were very trusting and shipped the replacement the day before I shipped the "defective" one back. Got the new one and "the damn screw is missing on this one too". Not a happy camper. Though I couldn't see it, I zoomed in on the adjustment opening with my phone camera and snapped a pic with the flash. The hex shape was clearly visible in the pic. I felt bad knowing I had returned an item that was not defective. The seller was very accommodating. I don't know what his position is with the company but he did me right. https://www.mdsoptics.com/?zenid=d85...6f428e05bdfa3e

Though not proud in any was of posting this I feel I must. The day before I contacted the seller, I contacted Streamlight. The customer rep lady told me I needed to take the issue up with the retailer. I'm like, WTH?. I told her it was on them and not him. She finally gave me the service dept. email and told me to include the problem, my name, address, phone, etc.

I did all that and after two day I heard nothing. I had copied / pasted that info and sent it to the seller as heads up. I quickly got a reply from him and he told me he'd be more than happy to take care of the problem. As noted earlier, he did just that. It's been days now and I have yet to hear back from Streamlight. Pretty disappointing.

How did it do? The 500 lumen light is fine and a bit bright for its intended role. My original plan was to install the new Crimson Trace CMR-300 which is / was a 300 lumen light with a green laser. After waiting months for it to hit the streets and me hounding them, I get a msg one day they had pulled the product. Pissed me off. I had actually made a couple of changes (close to 200.00 worth) to the AR to specifically integrate the new light.

Dialed in the laser last night at 25 meters on my AR pistol. Took me a little longer than usual with 18 rounds. But it is dead on. A little bit tighter group than "cloverleaf". That's plenty good for me. I expect it to hold up just fine. But I find that one adjustment screw to be lacking and hope they improve on it in future assemblies. As it stands now I would recommend this product. I have their TLR-1HL on another AR and really like it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    People having issues with the switching, I am wondering if they have ever actually used the TLR1 in real life applications? The TLR7/8 switching is really positive, no guess work and no accidentals unless you are messing with it. I would say whoever came up with it definitely had the right idea. I think I'll write up an article on these lights soon. I am pretty happy with the way these lights turned out.
    What are your thoughts on the TLR7 after using them for awhile?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    What are your thoughts on the TLR7 after using them for awhile?
    I have not carried one and only used one in limited shooting / CQB training, so my experience is still fairly limited.

I like the switches more than the TLR1/s, the TLR7 has a better system in my opinion, the on/off is more finite feeling and momentary is very applicable to room clearing. When I get a holster for it developed and carry it for a while I'll review it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    It's been days now and I have yet to hear back from Streamlight. Pretty disappointing.
    That’s odd... I contacted them for the dry-fire flicker, and got a response the same day as leaving an email. Took about two weeks to get the new head in, which had their software update, but fixed the dry-fire issue. Light does flicker with the slide slamming home, and I believe when the gun fires... but likely not going to be noticeable. It is an actual feature, which keeps the light from shutting down completely during recoil.

Link to my YouTube video, showing the flicker. Read the description... as it gave the notes of my interaction with Streamlight. I have quite a few Streamlights, and will continue to buy their stuff after dealing with them with this.

https://youtu.be/vlp9ayci9z0

Overall... I like the TLR-7. On my Glock 30S, I ran a TLR-3. The TLR-7 is brighter, in a more compact package. I’m a big TLR-1 fan, so prefer the paddles. Had an X300, that I sold, as I didn’t like the push for momentary. Guess it is from starting off on the Insight M3... which I still have a few Insights, one even on my home defense shotgun. If Streamlight or aftermarket creates paddles for the TLR-7... and they work with standard holsters for the weapon light... I’m sold. Have a few holsters, two I have setups for both the TLR-3 and TRL-7 (White Hat AWIB and Ares shoulder).

Some comparative shots of it on my 30S (UNIV-1 key)... plus some comparing the profile to the TLR-3 (using C key). For those two, the end of the frame is at the 3” mark.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Though the gun broker seller took care of the problem, I still haven't heard back from streamlight and now I don't expect to.

Feedback Score
    So it's been almost a year since this thread was started.

What is your assessment after using either one for a while?

Overall impressions?

Durability?

Reliability?

Any issues pop up?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    So it's been almost a year since this thread was started.

What is your assessment after using either one for a while?

Overall impressions?

Durability?

Reliability?

Any issues pop up?
    Also interested, I have yet to see anything bad but I haven't looked too much. These seem FAR more popular than the XC series.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone attempted to mount a TLR-8 at 12 o'clock on an AR? I'm curious if the front sight post would clear the laser; the light's compact enough it appears it just might. I've got a PDW build in the works that I could see that light being just about perfect for.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just picked up a TLR-7 to replace my Surefire X300U-B. The Surefire is an amazing light but it’s just too long for CCW. My EDC is a Walther PPQ M2 and the TLR-7 keeps the overall footprint of the gun essentially the same as with no light, and I think it looks great on it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    quick and dirty on the tlr7/8

tlr7:
    aiwb is easier than with a tlr1s, especially in a holster which is designed around a 19+tlr7 (even more so with a wedge) - havn't tried strong side carry with it.
    it's not a duty light, it's just not designed for overt / owb carry and I'd take a tlr1s or xh35 over it for duty work.
    switching is excellent, I prefer it over the non-stable paddle of the trl1s for concealed carry.
    battery life is decent
    attachment is tight and doesn't move once set - basically set and forget type of situation, although I have checked it several times and it has only backed out once (but that was after a training session during which I used the gun as a club)

tlr8:
    red laser is cool, not very daylight visible but not really designed to be
    switching is just like the tlr7 and works fine
    no serious holster options so couldn't do much of any carry.
    still need more time on it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast