Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Streamlight TLR-7 & 8

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I just got mine in. First impressions are very good, though the controls are hard to reach with my trigger finger and even my support thumb (I have to hunt a little bit for the activation button). Size is really nice, adds little weight, and the different rail inserts moves the light around A LOT. I would be really surprised if it didn't fit every gun with at least one of the inserts. The Universal 1 and uni 4 both for the M&P compact like a glove and push the light against the trigger guard and hold the light securely on the rail. I don't have worries about mounting at all. It is impossible for me to hit the switch with my trigger finger without adjusting my grip forward, and my support hand has to shift as well to hit the left side.

Overall impression: 4.3 / 5

The light is only losing points for the switch. I will start to take it apart and see how easy a user serviceable change of the back is if they sell different switches in the future.

ETA:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g31oULXmIl8geacw2
    Last edited by nimdabew; 02-27-18 at 13:39.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    I just got mine in. First impressions are very good, though the controls are hard to reach with my trigger finger and even my support thumb (I have to hunt a little bit for the activation button). Size is really nice, adds little weight, and the different rail inserts moves the light around A LOT. I would be really surprised if it didn't fit every gun with at least one of the inserts. The Universal 1 and uni 4 both for the M&P compact like a glove and push the light against the trigger guard and hold the light securely on the rail. I don't have worries about mounting at all. It is impossible for me to hit the switch with my trigger finger without adjusting my grip forward, and my support hand has to shift as well to hit the left side.

Overall impression: 4.3 / 5

The light is only losing points for the switch. I will start to take it apart and see how easy a user serviceable change of the back is if they sell different switches in the future.

ETA:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g31oULXmIl8geacw2
    Very good info, thank you much
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    This is excellent news: the rear portion of the light is held on by three small fasteners and those fasteners hold the rubber piece on the back. Taking the fasteners off let's you take the rubber switch portion off completely and expose the electronics underneath. If someone could make a new switch module for it, it is a super simple swap on the existing switch to a different activation method. I am envisioning Inforce like paddles that are hinged at the lens side and big paddles extending rearward towards the trigger guard. That would make this a solid 5/5 in my book.

I also just took the light into a dark 150x100' hanger with all the lights turned off. I had zero trouble lighting everything in that hanger and easily identifying the stuff in it. This little light, as soon as someone can replace the rear rubber switch module, will be one of the best compact weapon lights on the market. The switch is holding it's potential back right now though.

Last edited by nimdabew; 02-28-18 at 02:24.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    This is excellent news: the rear portion of the light is held on by three small fasteners and those fasteners hold the rubber piece on the back. Taking the fasteners off let's you take the rubber switch portion off completely and expose the electronics underneath. If someone could make a new switch module for it, it is a super simple swap on the existing switch to a different activation method. I am envisioning Inforce like paddles that are hinged at the lens side and big paddles extending rearward towards the trigger guard. That would make this a solid 5/5 in my book.

I also just took the light into a dark 150x100' hanger with all the lights turned off. I had zero trouble lighting everything in that hanger and easily identifying the stuff in it. This little light, as soon as someone can replace the rear rubber switch module, will be one of the best compact weapon lights on the market. The switch is holding it's potential back right now though.

Several youtube commentators mentioned this as well. It does seem like they wanted a system that can be adapted to different switches in the future which if that is the case, is genius imo. I love the streamlight switches on their full-size lights, and I was really hoping we would get a mini paddle version when this was announced. I am still buying one however.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing the reviews/photos etc. Seems like the button being modular is going to help us all in the long run. Trex says they will be making holsters for them.

LAPG had a sale on these and folks were getting them for $105 shipped. Not bad at all!

If anyone hears of a new button interface (or dg switch) please share. I've reached out to streamlight (re dg switch/paddles) and if they respond with anything it will be posted here.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    If anyone hears of a new button interface (or dg switch) please share. I've reached out to streamlight (re dg switch/paddles) and if they respond with anything it will be posted here.
    Glad I read to the end, thanks for asking John.

Looks like I finally get to retire my fleet of TLR-1's.

Allen

Feedback Score
    It’s in the mail . TLR-7® GUN LIGHT
    $95 optic planet with promo code

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Planning on likely getting the dash 8. Have waited months for the Crimson Trace CMR-300 to hit the streets. Then CT lets me know 2 weeks ago they pulled the product. This looks like it'll be just fine on my AR pistol though I prefer the paddles on the CT.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I had the opportunity to try the TLR-7 on both a G19 and at 12 o’clock on an AR. I will only buy one in the future if they offer a switch more like an Olight PL-2 or TLR-1HL for it. *For me* and my hand size, the touch pads are too far out of the ideal location for easy manipulation when mounted on my G19 and they also seemed a little too small and easy to miss, and on the one I tried, while trying to use momentary on, many times I inadvertently got into constant on mode instead. So as it currently is, it’s not for *me*, but as always, YMMV.
    Last edited by Biggy; 04-29-18 at 08:20.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    People having issues with the switching, I am wondering if they have ever actually used the TLR1 in real life applications? The TLR7/8 switching is really positive, no guess work and no accidentals unless you are messing with it. I would say whoever came up with it definitely had the right idea. I think I'll write up an article on these lights soon. I am pretty happy with the way these lights turned out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast