Thread: .40 S&W or.45 ACP for suppression...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

.40 S&W or.45 ACP for suppression...

Lots of people love .45 ACP for suppression as it is inherently subsonic.

I'm thinking I should stick with .40 S&W over .45 ACP as .40 S&W has several inherently subsonic loading and I prefer .40 S&W over to .45 ACP in general.

Most importantly for this consideration, everything else being equal a smaller diameter cartridge will always suppress more effectively (be quieter) than a larger one as the larger bore of the larger cartridge will allow gas to leak out more readily.

Thoughts?

TED

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    9mm or .45 for pretty much anything suppressed.

Enough said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    9mm or .45 for pretty much anything suppressed.

Enough said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In spite of the overwhelming presence of empirical data you present that makes it incredibly difficult to argue with you, .40 S&W suppresses better than .45 ACP.

From SilencerCo's testing, the .40 Osprey reduces .40 S&W to 127.12 dB on average, while the .45 Osprey reduces the .45 ACP to 133.51 dB and .40 S&W to 129.7 dB. However, TED, I would recommend suppressing 9mm over .40 S&W or .45 ACP. It's quieter than both, and in my experience it doesn't blow as much unburnt powder back in your eyes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPurpose View Post
    In spite of the overwhelming presence of empirical data you present that makes it incredibly difficult to argue with you, .40 S&W suppresses better than .45 ACP.

From SilencerCo's testing, the .40 Osprey reduces .40 S&W to 127.12 dB on average, while the .45 Osprey reduces the .45 ACP to 133.51 dB and .40 S&W to 129.7 dB. However, TED, I would recommend suppressing 9mm over .40 S&W or .45 ACP. It's quieter than both, and in my experience it doesn't blow as much unburnt powder back in your eyes.
    Yeah, I think you're right.

TED

Feedback Score
    Depends on your goals. I dont worry about running subsonic ammo much, unless im showing the silencer to someone.
    I would go 9 as its cheaper, quieter, shorter, lighter, and subs are readily available. There are not many options for 40 silencers, and they seem to be closer in dimension to 45 silencers.

Is there a reason you are not looking at 9mm?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just get a 45 can and suppress whatever caliber you feel like.

That new Griffin Revo 45 Mod 3 looks pretty appealing & is also rated for some rifle calibers.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.