Since I have begun researching my second build I thought I should post my first build for reference.

I read everything I could on this site, including the posts that said "buy your first AR" and "you won't save money building over buying a complete AR".

I'm a hands on guy, I enjoy the research portion of a project and I like to learn about and work on machinery (it is what I do for a living).
I set a budget of what I was going to spend every month, mostly to give me time to research the next components and to make the project last a few months over the winter.

Every major component of this build I researched here.

It started on Black Fri. 2016. The local reload shop had told me about Axelson Tactical, they are only a few miles from my house in Minden, NV.
They had a sale going when I walked in to look at receiver sets so I started there with their upper & lower receiver.

Later I bought my barrel there as well.
It is a Faxxon Firearms, 18” Gov't/Socom 1-8 twist, 5.56 NATO, Rifle length gas system.

I found Sons of Liberty Gun Works online and purchased their BCG and upper and lower parts kits.

I ordered a Larue 2 stage trigger early on so I could wait on it while getting everything else together.

The hand guard is a Giessele Super Modular MK4 13” M-Lok in black, it came with the gas block.

Bravo Company supplied the medium charging handle, intermediate extension and Gunfighter Mod 3 pistol grip.
I installed an A5H2 buffer and green Sprinco spring in the RE.

I decided on the Magpul CTR Stock and Magpul MBUS Pro flip up front and rear sights

A QD end plate, A2 Flashhider and a trigger guard sourced at the local gunshow finished the parts.

I also got to buy some new tools so I could hopefully assemble my pile of parts with out damaging anything.

Feb. 2017 I was finished buying parts and tools and reading and watching videos on line.

I assembled it over two days, one for the upper and one for the lower, while following "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide".
I was sure I was going to forget a step or part and have to disassemble an hours work but it all went together pretty smoothly.

I performed all the function tests as I went then put some rounds through it a few days later.
I was actually surprised at how mellow it shoots.

I was shopping sales whenever possible, my total for parts (not including tools) was $1317. I ended up paying $80 in shipping.
Due to the order in which I researched and purchased parts I paid a bit more in shipping as I eventually placed two orders with some suppliers.

I took it out with a friend who purchased an AR from a local assembler using Anderson arms receivers. He's shooting a 16" barrel, I don't know what buffer system the gun has but mine was noticeably quieter and smoother. He has a couple hundred more into his AR than I have in mine. I may not have saved any money but I do think I ended up with a good rifle for my money and time.

My intent is to use this for coyote hunting, I will eventually put a scope on it. I originally thought I might end up with a 22" or 24" barrel. After getting a little more realistic about my shooting skills and researching range and velocity of the round vs. barrel length I decided the 18" barrel was a good compromise. I still haven't shot it past 50 yds, in fact I haven't finished sighting it in yet.