Thread: First AR/First Build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

First AR/First Build

Since I have begun researching my second build I thought I should post my first build for reference.

I read everything I could on this site, including the posts that said "buy your first AR" and "you won't save money building over buying a complete AR".

I'm a hands on guy, I enjoy the research portion of a project and I like to learn about and work on machinery (it is what I do for a living).
    I set a budget of what I was going to spend every month, mostly to give me time to research the next components and to make the project last a few months over the winter.

Every major component of this build I researched here.

It started on Black Fri. 2016. The local reload shop had told me about Axelson Tactical, they are only a few miles from my house in Minden, NV.
    They had a sale going when I walked in to look at receiver sets so I started there with their upper & lower receiver.

Later I bought my barrel there as well.
    It is a Faxxon Firearms, 18” Gov't/Socom 1-8 twist, 5.56 NATO, Rifle length gas system.

I found Sons of Liberty Gun Works online and purchased their BCG and upper and lower parts kits.

I ordered a Larue 2 stage trigger early on so I could wait on it while getting everything else together.

The hand guard is a Giessele Super Modular MK4 13” M-Lok in black, it came with the gas block.

Bravo Company supplied the medium charging handle, intermediate extension and Gunfighter Mod 3 pistol grip.
    I installed an A5H2 buffer and green Sprinco spring in the RE.

I decided on the Magpul CTR Stock and Magpul MBUS Pro flip up front and rear sights

A QD end plate, A2 Flashhider and a trigger guard sourced at the local gunshow finished the parts.

I also got to buy some new tools so I could hopefully assemble my pile of parts with out damaging anything.

Feb. 2017 I was finished buying parts and tools and reading and watching videos on line.

I assembled it over two days, one for the upper and one for the lower, while following "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide".
    I was sure I was going to forget a step or part and have to disassemble an hours work but it all went together pretty smoothly.

I performed all the function tests as I went then put some rounds through it a few days later.
    I was actually surprised at how mellow it shoots.

I was shopping sales whenever possible, my total for parts (not including tools) was $1317. I ended up paying $80 in shipping.
    Due to the order in which I researched and purchased parts I paid a bit more in shipping as I eventually placed two orders with some suppliers.

I took it out with a friend who purchased an AR from a local assembler using Anderson arms receivers. He's shooting a 16" barrel, I don't know what buffer system the gun has but mine was noticeably quieter and smoother. He has a couple hundred more into his AR than I have in mine. I may not have saved any money but I do think I ended up with a good rifle for my money and time.

My intent is to use this for coyote hunting, I will eventually put a scope on it. I originally thought I might end up with a 22" or 24" barrel. After getting a little more realistic about my shooting skills and researching range and velocity of the round vs. barrel length I decided the 18" barrel was a good compromise. I still haven't shot it past 50 yds, in fact I haven't finished sighting it in yet.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Your build sounds very solid. Pics, please...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for asking Andy. One of the reasons it took me so ling to post this build was I never took any pictures.
    I figured if I wrote up the post then I'd have to get the pictures.

i-543QhPr-M.jpgi-wsFqPrt-M.jpgi-QF4Cvxr-M.jpgi-9bq3KnB-M.jpg

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    That's a good looking rifle, and a great build. I bet it's smooth shooting with the 18" rifle gas barrel and A5 system. My 20" Faxon Gunner with A5 sure is, with the same size gas port (according to Faxon specs).

Andy