Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why not a modernized Hi-Power...???

Feedback Score
    It is called P09 by CZ.

I love my Hi Powers carried one in harms way for years, own 3 of them. 2 of which are high end custom pistols.

Having said all that, my Cajun P07 is now my go to pistol. Just as accurate as the hand fitted custom barrel with a slide and frame lock up that sounds like a bank vault closing.

Besides my P07 can wear a RMR and has a single action pull that a Hi Power can never dream of having.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I haven’t found a striker or DA/SA that has the single action trigger “feel”. I’d like to try a sao CZ, but haven’t found one yet. As far as how the pistol feels in the hand, I think there are many modern designs that are very ergonomic and feel great. Having small hands, though, the Hi Power just shoots like it was designed for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    Why Lord, why can't someone make a revised hi-power with an Aluminum, Titanium, or Polymer frame, optional rail, and using Beretta 92 series mags?

Please Lord, I've been very good for some time now.

Thank you.

TED
    I've never seen a Hi-Power with all of the features you want, but Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide has produced some aluminum framed custom Hi-Powers in the past. I'm sure they weren't cheap.

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/3784

From time-to-time I've seen aluminum frame Hi-Powers show up on AIM Surplus, imported police or military trade-ins I think. I used to see finished ones on the C&S site, but you'd need to check with them to see if they are still doing that work.

In any case, the Wilson EDC X9 would probably be the better pistol and cost less than a custom pistol from C&S. But if you simply must have a Hi-Power, well. sometimes nothing else will do. I have two 75th anniversary Hi-Powers with consecutive serial numbers for the missus and me. Love 'em.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    From everything I have read, the aluminum frame hi powers do not hold up well if shot much.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wonder if anyone will import the Turkish copy mentioned here?

http://highpowercollectors.proboards...ing-high-power

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    Wonder if anyone will import the Turkish copy mentioned here?

http://highpowercollectors.proboards...ing-high-power
    That's cool! They should bring those in!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry, just can't bring myself to be seen with UGLY guns. And boy, have we got ugly guns falling out of the trees. The BHP is "old", like a '57 Chevy. A new Chevy (whatever they look like--who cares--) ain't got that zing. The Barrett-Jackson platform will never be befouled by a 2018 Impala.

I do own one Glock, but if I must carry it I keep it carefully concealed at all times. The BHP may be "obsolete" in some ways, but in addition to looking good it works good.

Currently reading the book "First In" about the CIA's team going into Afghanistan after 9/11. They took in AKs and BHPs. No doubt part of the reason was that they were the common, unremarkable tools of conflicts everywhere. But they're still decent choices on their own merits.

I hope somebody gets with the program and markets a decent, affordable clone BHP. The Charles Daly guns weren't too bad. The big dot sights were off-putting in 2006; 12 years later I think they're too small.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    BHPs aren't obsolete at all. I wish they were a bit bigger.

It's just that as time goes on it will be a polymer world. In the bigger picture handguns are losing their concept of "status".

Per BHP, one of the reasons I hear they are stopping production is that the machines are old and they aren't wanting to re-invest.

Get steel guns while you can. In 20-30 years it will be a different world completely.

If they fit my hands right, I'd get a BHP today.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Polymer%20Frame.htm

So they finally stopped. Been hearing production has stopped since the early to mid 1990's from someone selling a used one for more than new.
    Good Lord what an abomination!

To the OP, Chuck Warner was trying to set up to manufacture updated HP's, but last I heard, he ran out of money.

What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    BHPs aren't obsolete at all. I wish they were a bit bigger.

If they fit my hands right, I'd get a BHP today.
    This. 100 times this.

They are great pistols, and you can get 15 round flush fit mags no problem. I'm not much of an antique pistola kind of guy, and my FNHP is my one serious indulgence. Wonderful pistols, especially gussied up with some C&S goodies.

But, I'd say that 'bigger' is the wrong direction. Their detective P35s were super sexy (think a P229 vs P226), and are on a short list of must-haves when I eventually come into money or marry up and hitch myself to an heiress.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast